Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MtrHedAP

Lurker
Hello, I have been working in general aviation for a little over 2 years as an A&P mechanic. I have just recieved my CFII and should have my CFIA in a month. I would like to make a transition to corporate maintenance and gain experience as a tech and work as a flight instructor on the side. I would like to build my hours and eventually make a shift to flying them. My question is how hard would it be for me to make the jump to corporate and would i be able to transistion from tech to pilot assuming i was already trained as a tech on the aircraft. Or possibly do both. I am 21 years old and will be living in Southern California. What would be the best way to get an interview? Send in resumes or show up to departments and introduce my self and explain my wishes? Thanks for any help or comments.

Nathan

You're not going to to move to corporate pilot without the flight experience to back it up. Getting maintenance experience on the corporate aircraft you want to fly will certainly help you to know the airplane, but it won't help you to get a job flying the airplane. If you want to fly, you need flight experience, and moving to a corporate position is going to take a few years.

If flying is your goal, it's something you're going to need to concentrate on full time. Planning on going from a new flight instructor into a corporate position isn't realistic, either. You'll probably need to flight instruct for a year or two full time, find freight work or 135 work, and do like most other folks do as you gain the experience that will land you the job you want.

Latest resources

Back