Advice on night flying operations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

key

I have a chance to take a part-time job as SIC in a BE-90 for a mosquitos spaying operation in Florida. Basically it entails spraying mosquitos while flying at 150 knots at 200' AGL at night. You fly lines following a display (similar in concept to a VOR readout) hooked up to a GPS unit. When you get to the end, you do a tight (60 deg. bank) 180 deg. turn to go the other way. I know Florida is flat, but I believe towers can be up to 199' tall before obstruction lights are required or before they are entered into data bases or charts. The company does supply night vision goggles (and a respirator for emergencies) and the Captains claim to know where all the towers are in the area, but do admit that every once in a while a new tower pops up over night.

I would like to hear from pilots out there that might have some experience in this type of operation. Can it be done safely, and how much risk is involved. It sounds fun, challenging, good experience for sharpening flying skills, and a good opportunity to build hours in a decent plane. However, I have a family and I am not sure if I might be better off building hours other ways that are less risky (instructing, etc.).

..And Gators and now Burmese Pythons (thanks to the 'exotic pet' market). Better not ditch in the 'glades!

Is this a government job or what? I don't think I'd be doing anything this risky if I had a family. Just my opinion.

I think I read about this job a few weeks ago. Is it in Orlando area? If so, I actually talked to that guy and he said he found somebody already, I guess that was you.

I wouldn't do it without NVGs.

Metro, my wife went to College of Dupage and was a grad at NIU. I got to live through 12 wonderful Northern Illinois winters before she saw the light and agreed to move south with me.

Latest resources

Back