• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Advice on Lear Type

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here. FAR 61.51(e)1 says if you are rated in the aircraft and you are sole manipulator of the flight controls, you may log the time as PIC. Nowhere in Part 135 does it tell you how to log flight time.

When you were training for your Commercial Pilot license and and flying with a flight instructor, if you had a high performance sign-off, you could log all that time as PIC even though you had an instructor with you who was really in charge of the flight.

I have filled out many airline applications and interviewed with several major airlines. Some airlines accept PIC as directed by FAR 61.51. Some airlines know that type-rated copilots log the time as sole manipulator as PIC so they word their applications differently. If you were to fill out 5 different airline applications, you would have 5 different sets of hours posted.

By no means am I saying the flying copilot is Captain, under Part 91 or 135. But under Part 61, the part of the regs that govern logbook entries, he may log it as PIC.

You can log it, but it's not a very good idea. You can also log any flight between two points as cross country time (even if they're a mile apart), but the industry standard is 50 nm. Just another example that what is legal isn't always adequate for acceptance in the industry.

Maybe I'm beginning to see why you picked your name... you like to bug aviators. Once again you state what is and isn't accepted in the industry. Maybe I must be talking about a different industry. I've been talking about one that is governed by regulations. If a company or insurance company asks for PIC time, you give them your PIC time. If they want something other than that, and often they do ask for something different, then you give them what they ask for.

I have always logged my flight time in a manner that is in accordance with the regulations. I have a copy of the 'Letter of Interpretation' from FAA Legal in Washington stating that an designated SIC may log as PIC any time he/she is 'soul manipulator' of the controls. I have only been asked once about my logging of flight time during an interview andwhen I showed the interviewer the FAA letter he accepted how I logged the flight time. The biggest thing any company wants to know is how and why you logged your flight time as you did. As we all can see on this site there are numerous ways to log flight time. As long as you have a reasonable basis to do it in a particular way, it is acceptable. But it does have to have some legal backing.

Forgive a comment from the amateur peanut gallery, but why people get so worked up about this beyond me when the solution is obvious.

The FAA clearly allows one to log "sole manipulator" PIC time. Many employers, on the other hand, want to know only your PIC time that fits the definition in FAR 1, i.e. "signed for the airplane".

Why not just log both flavors of pic seperately in your log book? Then you can provide honest answers to the "pic time" question no matter which school of thought the questioner belongs to.

It would seem foolish in the extreme to not log SM-PIC when the FAA accepts this time as "real" PIC time for many purposes.

By clearly logging both flavors, one cannot be logically accused of attempted misrepresentation.

Last edited:
The name is a handle that came from cropdusting, long before computers were in vogue, or in use.

Log whatever you want. Have a ball.

Latest resources

Back