Advice on how to become an air traffic controller

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scoreboardII

Hi, whats the most likely civilian path to become an ATC controller? How long, how much? What are the aptitudes to be a controller? Is there a test one could take to see if you would be a good controller much like the ASVAB for pilots?

My son is interested in this field, but not through the military channels (he is already in the military).

Thanks, Merry Christmas.

head over to jetcareers.com and check out the ATC section of the forums there. that's where all of the new-hire controllers roost.

-kyle
ZBW

head over to jetcareers.com and check out the ATC section of the forums there. that's where all of the new-hire controllers roost.

-kyle
ZBW

Good link-thanks. I know it says time varies...Any idea how long it usually takes to hear something after the application has been submitted? Do they wait until the closing date on the job announcement? Are most selected to take the test? Also, is a job offer safe to assume if you do well on the test?

Thanks in advance.

Good link-thanks. I know it says time varies...Any idea how long it usually takes to hear something after the application has been submitted? Do they wait until the closing date on the job announcement? Are most selected to take the test? Also, is a job offer safe to assume if you do well on the test?

Thanks in advance.
I applied in July 09 for the last (i think) pubnat. I took the test in dec. Still waiting on further action and its creeping up close to a year. Once you apply sit back and relax. It is the federal govt so you will wait awhile. Also just because you do well on the test doesnt mean you have a job/offer. They still have to interview you and all that jazz. Good luck I hope it works out for you!

Latest resources

Back