Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FoxJet

Who wants a MUSTACHE RIDE
I've got my first crossing coming up in a couple of weeks and wondering if anyone could impart some wisdom. I've been studying up on the policy and procedures but I'm looking for some good advice that you wished someone had told you before your first flight.
It'll be a G200 from Gander to Shannon...Thanks

In addition to all that yapping...

Im sure you know out of Gander you will pick up your Oceanic Clearance on the ground. Thats handy.

Do pay attention to your crossing altitude and airspeed. You will have to be at that altitude on speed at your coast out point...sometimes this can be a challenge...example: FL410 and .85 at a point less than 100nm from Gander and its hot out..

just a thought.

Gulfstream 200 said:
In addition to all that yapping...

Im sure you know out of Gander you will pick up your Oceanic Clearance on the ground. Thats handy.

Do pay attention to your crossing altitude and airspeed. You will have to be at that altitude on speed at your coast out point...sometimes this can be a challenge...example: FL410 and .85 at a point less than 100nm from Gander and its hot out..

just a thought.

Tell me about that, the last time out of St. Johns we had to make the gate at FL370 and .77 in an Astra. At first it looked like no problem as it was ISA minus 10 but passing FL300 it switched to ISA plus 14, we barely made it to the gate at altitude and speed.

Makesheepnervus said:
Tell me about that, the last time out of St. Johns we had to make the gate at FL370 and .77 in an Astra. At first it looked like no problem as it was ISA minus 10 but passing FL300 it switched to ISA plus 14, we barely made it to the gate at altitude and speed.

yeah...I certainly dont know much...but can always share my - well - screwups!!....like struggling to that altitude in ISA+15 then being so far behind the curve I couldnt maintain my desired airspeed until 30W...shat.

-remember to inform Gander of that "unplanned" temp at your FL-

;) .

Ok, quick question... My Saab doesn't do this type of flying. Are you guys still in radar contact by the time you reach your gate??? If not, what are you options should you not be able to reach the altitude due to higher than normal temps??? Arrange something through Gander Radio???

If you have any doubts as to weather you will make your coast out assignment for altitude and speed. Be conservative. Ask for the altitude you know you can make. Even if they tell you "radar contact terminated squak 2000" Just remember you actual position is probably a phone call (awacs) away! If your in a corporate jet. They know you will want to climb above the tracks and fly a random route. They will wan't you up there anyway. So they generaly will find a way to get you to altitude before 40 west. Don't sweat the mnps. It's not a big deal. The best thing you can do to prepare for a crossing is to read the panels on the North Atlantic orientation chart. Have fun and keep it clean!

Latest resources

Back