Advice from pet owners

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi everybody...

I recently lost the primary care provider for my dog when im away on trips ( a commuter). Short of giving up the pet i've had for 4 years, do any of you have advice with an economical and ethical (not kennel the animal too much) solution for petcare when your on the road... ??? Any ideas are appreciated!

I know some people actually use pet sitters where you bring your pet to "doggy daycare" or some people actually come over to your house once or twice a day to let them out, feed them, play with them, etc. Search the yellowpages and ask questions. It can get expensive though. Hope this helps.

I have two cats and two dogs, here's what works for me. Find a responsible high school or college student to pet sit for you, even stay over at your house. They can always use the extra cash and appreciate the time away from roommates or the folks!!

Check out papers or often apartment buildings have a bulletin board where people often advertize such services. Check with a vet as they may also have info. We are finally moving into our first house and have an enclosed yard- so with a pet door they have some freedom. My dog does not do well in kennels so like the above posters mentioned I have found retired persons or young kids to stop buy and let them out- Animals seem to do alot better in their own home.

My wife is a pet sitter. They aren't the cheapest but your pet will be much happier I can assure you. Stop by your local pet shops and ask around. Also look in you neighborhood news letter if you have one.

Don't give up your pet, it has spent four years counting on YOU.

Pet Hotels!! =p

that's where my doggie went when i went away~~~

It's cool. there's a gym, garden, n my dogs get to meet up with other dogs and they could play together! that's if they could get along...hahhaaa... one "trainer" (hotel service/bell-boy) to i think about 3 dogs.

But hey! Bring my dog there once and if [possible, never would again...lolx.. It cost a bomb! Maybe not to you guyz least you all are already pilots. Earning $$$ :D

A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast.

Proverbs 12:10

Our neighbors have always been happy to help when we are away although you probably are away a good bit more than us. The problem is that our dog won't let any of them into the house so they wind up calling someone who the dog knows. She is a fierce beastie! Anyone else have a dog that really has adverse reactions to the UPS man? We have a storm door which offers pretty good visability into and out of the house and when I first got the dog the UPS man was still casual about coming to our house as he didn't know of the new addition. One morning I hear her starting barking and come around the corner to see her making the carpet to wood transition coupled with sliding into the door with fur standing and just going berserk. The UPS man dropped the package (he wasn't to the door yet) and "ran" back to his truck. It was quite amusing. Well... maybe not for the UPS man.

RT

Pets

Don't give up your pet. :( Can you find another vet?

I agree with all the suggestions above. I always appreciated the greeting my cat gave me when I came home after being away a day or two. I appreciate Rumpletumbler's quote of Proverbs.

Latest resources

Back