Advice for "friend" please

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnny taliban

Okay, heres the situation. Ive got a "friend" who currently flies as PIC in a Lear 35 for your typical PART 135 company. This company is going to make him a check airman on the Lear. The pay is good, quality of life is not.

My "friend" has been offered a PART 91 job also flying Lears as PIC AND will get typed in a slightly bigger and different aircraft. The pay is the same but the quality of life will be MUCH better. This "friend's" career goal is to get hired by ANY of the current majors that are hiring (i.e. SWA,FEDEX,JetBlue,UPS) and already meets all of their minimuns. What should he do???

My "friend" says thanks in advance;) ,

Johnny

Last edited:
You didn't say whether or not your "friend" (ahem) is going to be SIC or PIC at the Pt. 91 job. This is an important consideration.

If your "friend" (that's pretty lame) has a bucket of PIC jet time already (at least 1000 hours is a good start), then take the job at the Pt. 91 company. Hopefully, he/she (d@mn, that's annoying) would get typed in something above 20,000 lbs. so he/she (arrrgh) can answer "yes" to the companies that require a certain amount of this time (JetBlue being one).

If your "friend" (whatever) doesn't have a helluva lot of PIC turbine/jet, then stay at the 135 gig. Being check airman doesn't say much if you're already doing it. (No offense to those check airman out there.)

If your "WhateverYouWantToCallYourself" (I couldn't resist) already has a good amount of the >20,000 lbs. flight time, great, take the Pt. 135 job. If not, again, maybe that "slightly larger" airplane (than the LR-35 which is less than 20K lbs.) will help him/her achieve that.

Hell, Johnny, quality of life is EVERYTHING once you get all your bills paid off.

Cheers,

SCR

Take the 2nd option, and start filling out appications !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

320AV8R

So,
do anyone of you think that gaining check airman status is more important than QOL and another type rating? QOL is tempting, but I (uh...,I mean my "friend") does not want to pass up something (check airman) that may help him land an airline interview.

Johnny

Last edited:
I have a "friend" who does some of the hiring, and this "friend" said the check airman status is cool, and an asset, but most certainly won't make or break an interview. This "friend" said take the QOL of life, and scrap the crap schedule and check airman status.

And if you leave for the majors, be sure to let my friend, uh I mean ME, where you're leaving from so I can throw in an app!!!

johnny taliban said:
This "friend's" career goal is to get hired by ANY of the current majors that are hiring (i.e. SWA,FEDEX,JetBlue,UPS) and already meets all of their minimuns. What should he do??? Johnny

You should get hired at SWA,FEDEX,JetBlue,UPS.

Latest resources

Back