Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

paid4training

Missing my family
I am currently attending a university program in aviation. I had not been able to start instructing due to my other job and a schedule conflict. My other job provides insurance, 401k, a decent hr pay and connections for a future regional job. My job entales bidding and triptrading to adjust my schedule to be available to instruct and it took a little while due to coverage etc to be able to adjust my schedule. I told the dept head and Cheif flight instructor and they seemed okay with it in the beginning.

The key word here is "in the beginning"!!! After one of the instructors asked me to help another student, I agreed thinking that it would help the professor because I am the new guy just trying to make a good impression. Well I helped the guy for about an hour or so and realized it was for FREE!!! I was hoping maybe a little extra credit in another class if not pay. I asked this guy if he needed help, and to let me know what he was having an issue with. The guy was somewhat ungrateful but I continued to help anyway.

The Instructor (professor) called me into his office today and told me I was not helping him and that I agreed to help him. I told the professor that I asked him if he needed help and the professor told me I needed to basically take him by the hand and sit him down and teach him. Keep in mind the student is in his late 50's and seems not to appreciate my help. I told the professor this and he basically said he may "blackball" me for not taking the guy by the hand etc. The scheduling issue came up as an issue as well....

After thinking about the conversation ALL day I really want to go into his office and tell the professor to shove it. This is a university that offers Aviation as a degree and I am about 66 hrs away from getting my degree etc I specifically moved here to finish my degree and be a CFI but the program is pretty much in the crapper. The two dept heads talk about each other and the few students they do have are pretty unhappy with the program. But I am here and what should I do? There are not many opprotunities to instruct around here but I really don't want to deal with the attitude of the professor. I have defended the program when other students started talking about transfering and generally unhappy with the program and even defended this professor. What should I do...any thoughts?

paid4training said:
the professor told me I needed to basically take him by the hand and sit him down and teach him. Keep in mind the student is in his late 50's and seems not to appreciate my help.

Take the old guy by the hand, sit him down, show him what to do, do it for him until he can do it. Baby sit him. You will learn how to handle students.

Some students do need baby-sitting, but I know that's not your point. The point is that you're not getting paid for it. You're being raped.

Look in to the posibilities of independant instructing. Most dagree bound pilots have options to receive credit for flying some where other than the school (I know UVSC is one of them). They can continue taking their core classes from the university and later challenge the flight stuff. It's ballsy and ill-ethical to use school connections to contact unhappy students, but keep your ear to the ground and your head low. Use a nearby airport to offer them better training. Work them around your work schedule.

$0.02

Bottom line. The students are pyaing good money for their instruction. They deserve the best. If you can offer it to them, you should.

Tonala2k said:
Bottom line. The students are pyaing good money for their instruction. They deserve the best. If you can offer it to them, you should.

Dude this guy is paying ME NOTHING!!! I don't think it is wrong to either get monetary compensation, extra credit with the professor or at least the respect of "doing it on my time"....I don't think this thinking is out of line. I still have 19hours of classes myself but I am taking time out of my day to help this guy who doesn't even appreciate what I am doing. I should not have to motivate a 50 plus year old to at least have a decent attitude about free help and then the Professor to Pressure me with a black ball to do it. I think HE (the professor) was unethical and out of line. I have sat in an extra Pvt ground class so I can know how the students are taught. So the guy can not say I have not been trying...That is pretty much my point I guess....

Should I say something to the Professor or just keep my pie hole shut?

If I am out of line then fine, but I don't think I am....:erm:

paid4training said:
he basically said he may "blackball" me for not taking the guy by the hand etc. The scheduling issue came up as an issue as well....

What should I do...any thoughts?
This kind of thing happens all the time when you work for or with people who don't appreciate your time. If "helping" this student is not part of your degree program and you're not getting paid....or even thanked for it......then just don't do it. For a professor to say to a student that they may be "blackballed" for something like this indicates to me you've already been "blackballed". I assume you are a tuition paying student/customer also. Don't tolerate someone muscling you. Talk to the higher ups and, if you're not satisfied, decide if this is the best place for you to be.

Last edited:
WhiteCloud said:
This kind of thing happens all the time when you work for or with people who don't appreciate your time. If "helping" this student is not part of your degree program and you're not getting paid....or even thanked for it......then just don't do it. For a professor to say to a student that they may be "blackballed" for something like this indicates to me you've already been "blackballed". I assume you are a tuition paying student/customer also. Don't tolerate someone muscling you. Talk to the higher ups and, if you're not satisfied, decide if this is the best place for you to be.

Thanks...great post!!!

Latest resources

Back