Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Advice for a mid life career change - please.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyordie

Hello from Singapore,

I'm a 42 year old electronics engineer looking for training to start a new career in aviation. Hopefully maybe a new life in USA.

My whole life I wanted to be a pilot but then I failed my vision and settled for a technician in the air force and later an engineer in local defense industry and Singapore Airlines. So I have been close to planes military and civilian for a good part of my working career.

Though my work involves aircrafts, (dare I say it, UAVs) I'm not a Licensed Aircraft Technician as most of my work involves more avionics system integration, maintenance planning and some design work....

Read your views on the aviation industry today and frankly, I'm having 2nd thoughts.

My question is:

1) For a person like myself, being 42 and a foreigner etc, state of the industry as it is......what are the odds that I can get a job flying? Both in the US and around the world. I'm not looking for anything fancy in terms of salary or scheduling etc.

2) Are there any graduate programs in aviation that encompass CFI training as part of curricula?

3) What are your views and advice for the best path to a flying career for a person like myself? Should I even begin.

4) Are there any meaningful compromise here?

Apologies if I have questions that were posted before. Would be most grateful if you can share your experience and give me some directions maybe to other links etc?

Thank you for your time.

It can be done numerous ways, just depends how quickly you want to get there. I would highly suggest that you do a board search on the Mesa Airlines Pilot Development program. Many at your age have gone through the program and it is the quickest way to get to the right seat at the airlines in just 19 months.

Gary Lightfoot who is the asst. chief pilot at Mesa went through this back in 97" and I am pretty sure he was your age at the time he entered the program. He was on a recent trip on the jumpseat and pretty interesting to hear his career path.

I have never flown for Mesa but would be more than happy to put you in contact with a senior check airman who could give you the specifics should you want, just private message me and I will give you the email address.

I usually suggest those who are changing careers to pursue this route since it is probably the quickest and it works well.

You have many options, a lot depends on your personal preferences and your finances. Do a board search on the Mesa Program, any specifics you may have just ask away.

http://www.flightcareers.com/

http://www.flightcareers.com/fraq.htm

Do some research, this is a pretty expensive investment that you are soon to be making should you decide to pursue this.

Read your views on the aviation industry today and frankly, I'm having 2nd thoughts.
Can it be done?. Sure... Would it be smart given your present position?. Only you can answer that one

good luck,

3 5 0

Last edited:
Starting at 42 you could expect to be able to have a decent career with a regional, charter or corporate operator. A major airline in the U.S. is probably not very likely since you would most likely be 50+ years of age by the time you could be competitive. However since you are from Singapore, you may have oppertunities with Cathay Pacific, or Singapore Airways that a U.S. pilot may not have access to at that age. Given the amount of U.S. Pilots that go to those carriers, a native born pilot may have no problem even at a higher than normal entry age.

flyordie,

Maybe you're familiar with this site already, but look at www.pprune.com and do a search of cadet programs at some of the Asian carriers. I've seen a number of threads on this. As someone mentioned, looking in your own backyard might be a good place to start especially if they pick up the tab. Good luck.

I have nothing to say except best of luck, and that if you are not happy in your current situation, you need to do something to change it.

Hope things work out for you!

-Goose

If it's in your heart...then do it. I started like you at age 42 and would be happy to share my experiences with you. I had a similar background to you as well. Former aircraft engineer and manager.

Mesa does offer a good program, but that would involve you putting all your eggs in one basket. You never know who's basket is going to get upset in this industry, so you might want to choose a path that keeps your options a little more open.

It's also important to remember that old phrase that it's the journey that is important, not the destination.

PM me. I will happily help you.

Too old

I don't know how things are in Singapore, but my experiences as a career changer in the U.S. starting at age 36 say your road may be difficult, if not impossible.

I decided to change careers to aviation in 1987. I already had been flying for several years. There was a hiring boom, and I had two friends whom the regionals hired. I wasn't happy with what I was doing for work, so, I thought, if they could do it, I could do it. I already had my degree and just needed my multi ratings. I finished them and, with about 900 hours and 50 multi, started sending resumes. I sent forests of paper to freight and the regionals, with few responses and no luck.

It took about ten months, but, in 1988 at age 37, I landed my first full-time job instructing at ERAU. By 1990, I had my ATP and a type rating, and finally got regional interviews with about 2700 total and 680 of multi. During that time, a recession hit and Saddam invaded Kuwait. Both stopped that hiring boom. In all, I had five interviews and no offers.

Regional hiring continued, though. My ERAU colleagues, who actually had less experience than me but otherwise had similar qualifications, but who were no older than 25, were getting interviews and hired. I applied to the exact, same places they did, but I got nowhere. By then, I was pushing 40.

I believe that proves I suffered age discrimination. I have written this story many, many times on this forum. The more polite responses I receive state that I am wrong. I do not think so. I have friends who have had similar experiences, as have other people on this board. In particular, I have one friend my age, 53, who found out after his Trans States Airline interview five years ago that he was rejected flat-out because of age. There are court cases the airlines use to justify their discriminatory practices.

I should make clear that airlines do not discriminate against over-40 pilots straight across the board. They do hire pilots in their forties - pilots who are well-qualified and have been flying for years who heretofore had not been given their chance. I believe that airlines discriminate against later-life career-changers - those who are the same experience level as 25-and-under pilots, with the only difference being age.

This thread sets forth in detail the points I and others have made about age discrimination. Be sure to keep going until you read Resume Writer's response. She is a hiring professional and provided expert opinion.

I write this only as food for thought. Please keep it in mind as you consider your plans. You might have a chance flying freight, air taxi, charter, corporate, or as a career flight instructor, but as for airlines, don't put your eggs in that basket.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:
why would you want to come here, work for peanuts, get a job at a regional and work for even less money the first few years, then after enduring numerous moves and personal and monetary hardships thoughout your 40's you get to make 45K as a regional captain and have to retire 8 years after making captain with ZERO retirment or medical.

Bad choice.

Checks said:
why would you want to come here, work for peanuts, get a job at a regional and work for even less money the first few years, then after enduring numerous moves and personal and monetary hardships thoughout your 40's you get to make 45K as a regional captain and have to retire 8 years after making captain with ZERO retirment or medical.

Bad choice.
Yep, exactly. Buy your own plane and live your life bro.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back