advice after resigning from training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

updraft

I rescently resigned from a company because I got behind during training. Flows and callouts were my weak areas. This was partially because I did not work well with my sim partner. I'm sure I'm not the first or the last. How do I go about answering that question on another 121 application/ interview and keep it positive? Good learning experience I got behind learned to study flows first day of training. ?? I have gone back to flight instructing in the mean time.

Your best bet is to be honest. What were your issues to cause you to fall behind? Could you not get some of the 'aces' in the class to work with you? Depending on the attitude of the training department, if you come right out and tell them you're having some difficulty they usually go out of their way to help you out. Especially if you show that you're giving your max effort. Good luck to you.

I think you answered your own question.

Why did you resign from training?

I got behind. I didn't study my flows or callouts as much as I should have. With the pace of training I was behind from the beginning and I was never able to catch up. I learned a lot from this experience and if I had it to do over again, I would start studying my flows and callouts as soon as that material was made available to me.

Your honest answer should be enough for them. If I was on the other side of the table and heard you say this, I would be MORE likely to hire you b/c you have seen what it takes to complete training. You were overwhelmed and failed your first time, but if I hire you and put you in training, you will probably be one of the top performers since you know what it takes to pass. You are now "experienced."

Well that was pretty much it. I worked with a few other people in the class at various times. I was pretty hard on myself and was trying to do it all soo to speak. The first day in CPT I knew I was behind with the expanded flows and had 4 days in a row of it. There was no time to catch up between that and going into the sim. It kind of snowballed on me. If I had more time to work on it I could have gotten it. I got 1 extra session form the training dept.

Illini said it perfectly. Next time around you'll be ahead of the game. Most airline training departments expect you to know your flows cold when you get to CPT's. Unfortunately a lot of guys coming from the CFI world are expecting to be taught how to do these flows. It's just what we expect as students. My first CPT instructor at my first regional told the class to think of flows as practicing lines for an acting audition. You wouldn't go into an audition without knowing your 'lines' would you? You're gonna ace your next program bro.

updraft said:
I rescently resigned from a company because I got behind during training. Flows and callouts were my weak areas. This was partially because I did not work well with my sim partner. I'm sure I'm not the first or the last. How do I go about answering that question on another 121 application/ interview and keep it positive? Good learning experience I got behind learned to study flows first day of training. ?? I have gone back to flight instructing in the mean time.

What was your QOL during training?

I know a couple of guys who had the same problem, got hired somewhere else and did just fine. Knowing what to expect will put you ahead of the game the next time.

Latest resources

Back