(ADs) How can I?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

How can I as the pilot make sure that all ADs have been complied with. With the aging fleet of aircraft out there its impossible to see when every AD has been done in the 50 year lifespan of a airplane (sometimes longer). Lets say a non reoccuring AD was signed off 45 years ago, how do I know this? Is there a way? When a mechanic signs the annual off are they saying all ADs have been complied with?

You should have logbooks-airframe, engine, and props. The engine and props(and their logbooks) may change over time, however the aiframe log should be from day 1. An IA is supposed to research and comply with ad's during the annual.

Assuring AD compliance is the responsibility of the owner/operator. However, as a pilot, you always hold operational control over a flight, and as Pilot in Command, you always hold responsibility for determining that the aircraft is in an airworthy condition.

Paperwork for an aircraft should always include a list of applicable AD's which can be referenced to determine compliance. The AD's should be listed as having been complied with, or not applicable due to part number or serial number, or the new AD with which they've been superceded. This list should be maintained by the owner/operator, and should be provided to or available to pilots who fly the airplane. Additionally, the airplane should have a maintenace list of items and inspections due, in order for pilots to determine from seeing the list the current status of the airplane. Additionally, a list should be available citing discrepancies, and their status.

With respect to an annual inspection, when a mechanic (IA) completes and signs for one...he is buying the past. If he signs the aircraft as airworthy and approves it for return to service, he's buying the work done by every set of hands that's ever thouched it...and takes responsibility for all the work ever done on that aircraft. This includes ensuring full AD compliance. If the owner/operator does not require the work done, the mechanic performing the inspection cannot approve the aircraft for return to service or sign the aircraft as airworthy; he or she must sign a statement that the aircraft has been inspected in accordance with an annual inspection, and found not airworthy, and a list of discrepancies has been provided to the owner (and if he's intelligent, a duplicate list for himself, and one for the FAA).

When our shop takes on a new airplane we do a complete check of ADs both in the paperwork and on the airplane. Just because an AD has been signed off as complied with doesn't mean it really was complied with, or that it was complied with correctly.

Case in point, we had a 1965 vintage Cherokee 180 that the owner brought to us for annual, the airplane had been bought around three years prior from an aircraft broker that imported it from South Africa, Red flag number one. We researched a complete list of applicable ADs and went to work. To make a very very long story short, not a single AD over the life of the airplane had been correctly complied with, and there was major corrosion, incorrect repairs, etc. etc. Some of the oversights were minor, some were downright dangerous.

The only way to make absolute sure all ADs have been complied with is to physically check them on the airplane. This airplane had been signed off for three other annuals by two other mechanics, and signed off by an FAA airworthiness inspector... and it was dangerous.

As for the airplane itself, thirteen months later it left our hangar with two new ailerons, a new rudder, new flap skins, new stabilator skins, a new exhaust and a new bulkhead in the tail... as well as countless other repairs, then 50 hours later the engine was making metal. Never take the too good to be true deal!

TrafficInSight, I bet he could have bought two 180s for the price of that bill. Good story! We can all learn a little something from that.

The boss made payment arrangements with him that went something like "Just give me $xxxx a month until I tell you to stop."

Latest resources

Back