Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotswife

Hi,
Thank you so much for responding to my post (even the not so nice responses...gave me a good laugh!!)
Just to give you some stats. about my depressed grounded husband:

*He has a B.S. in Education
*Was a high school teacher (Auto Technology)
*Got burned out, was introduced to flying by one of my CO coworkers
* Got his private license at local FBO
* Decided when I was 8 mos. prego with our second child that he wanted to be an airline pilot :)
* We sold everything we owned (401k, home, IRA)
*He moved to FL I stayed in NJ living with his parents and working as a FA for CO :-(
* He got his Commericial Multi Instrument ratings (PFT)
* Then he went to MN for CFI
* Came home- got an interview with CO Express scheduled for 9/13
* 9/11
* Started to CFI full time
*Quit because we needed more $$ to get out of my in-laws house
*2 years later we finally own a home again
* BUT he hates working as an auto mechanic and loves the sky

total time 1100
multi 150

(He now flies occasionally on the weekends with some private students)

Any more info or encouraging words are welcome-
Nicole

Im gonna go out on a limb here..... he needs more multi time. Go read the PFT post and get some hardcore opinions on that as well.

With 1100TT and 150 multi, surely he is not going to be able to "pick" his job present day. There are too many others on the streets with 5X + that number that can't even find a job.

3 5 0

Quals and job hunting

Your husband really needs more total time and more multi. Having said that, Mesa's mins are 1000 total-100 multi, so he should still work up an app. It may get him nowhere at the moment because of better-qualified street hires, but he can work on blazing that trail by updating.

As it has been for several years, SkyWest's mins are 1000 total, 100 multi and 100 instrument (You need to click "Job Openings," scroll down to "Career Guides" and then click on "Pilot" to get to that info.). He can apply there, too. SkyWest is a hard nut to crack, but it is still another place he can and should try.

Another thing your husband can do is apply to teach ground school at local vo-techs, junior colleges and community colleges. His B.S. in Ed, teaching certification and previous H.S. experience should get him an interview. It wouldn't hurt if he obtained his FAA Ground Instructor certificates. I make this suggestion so he can be around people who like flying, which could lead him to contacts.

Finally, just for grins, your husband should dedicate part of his job-hunting campaign to applying for CFI jobs at the myriad of flight schools in Florida. He should be familiar with most of them, and he'll be familiar with the territory. I make that suggestion because if the economy improves they may gear up to take more students. The schools generally hire from within, but if there's a shortage and a need, your husband could be hired. He'll be able to build time, gain good experience in rigid programs, and maybe even enjoy it.

It may be quite a while before your husband's number is called. It was called before, so someone found his quals attractive. In the meantime, as I wrote before, your husband has to get out there and pitch his wares. What's the worst than can happen? Being told "no" again? He won't know until he tries, and trying is a major part of the pilot job-hunting game.

Once more, best wishes to you and good luck to your husband.

Last edited:
How about picking his "dream job" airlines, I dont mean Delta or Southwest, but something he can realistically aim for in the near future, be it ASA, Air Wisky, Skywest, or whatever. Check out the websites for these airlines and see if he is qualified for a job OTHER than pilot. With a degree in education perhaps he could go work as a ramp agent for a short time and be in a good position to become a Ramp Instructor. Quite a few airlines may even consider him a candidate for an aircraft or basic indoc instructor with his aviation background and an education degree.

I know these suggestions dont get him in the air yet, but they will get him a position where he will basically be guaranteed a shot at a flying job with a little more multi time.

Good luck, and dont let him fall into the trap of thinking he is the only one in this position. There are a whole lot of very qualified pilots doing something they hate right now. Hopefully things will get better soon.

Pilotswife,

A few years ago I got a job flying a twin at a company called Business Aviation in Sioux Falls SD. I was hired with about 30 hrs of twin time but I had a lot of single 135 time. Or once he hits 1200 hrs he can go to Flight Express out of Orlando. I think they pay more now than it did when I was there. I know the also have twins there too but those runs go to the senior guys. They may take him with less time they did me. It depends on how desperate they are at that time. It’s a good way to build time fly and be more competitive when the time comes.

Latest resources

Back