Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PSL

I need some help.

I've been teaching for 15+ years and I'm convinced more than ever that I will never understand the FARs.

Here's the short story ... I have a student that wants to add a SE rating to an existing CML-AMEL/IA certificate.

Referencing FAR 61.129 ... I read that the student must have a DUAL XC (one day and one night) that are referenced in section a (iii and iv).

The examiner told the student that they didn't need to satisfy this requirement because they were satisfied when he received his CML Multi.

I'm confused ...

Any CFIs, DPE, or Inspectors want to add their two cents worth ?

Thanks

I'm none of those things but had a co-worker who just completed this process himself. He refers to 61.63 c4 which specifically says "Need not meet the specified training time requirements prescribed by this part that apply to the pilot certificate for the aircraft rating sought unless.... [airship stuff]."

My friend did not have to do the cross country flights.

Commercial Single add-on

This is a very common 141 flight school situation where students obtain their initial Commercial certification in a twin and add the Commercial single later.

You have to give your student the three hours of dual to prepare him for the Commercial Single flight test. Take a look at the Commercial PTS. He'll have to demonstrate flight at critically slow airspeeds to Commercial standards, the commercial maneuvers, shorts and softs to Commercial standards, and emergency procedures. The examiner is correct. He already demonstrated the other stuff for his Commercial Multi. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if he is told to plan a cross-country and the examiner starts him out on it during the practical.

He still needs to be prepared for the oral as thoroughly as he would be for initial certification. He should know privileges of a commercial pilot, certificates, ARROW, his airplane's systems, and cross-country flight planning - even though he was examined on these items already. He already demonstrated high-performance/complex airplane operation in the twin, so you can send him for the flight test in a simple single. But, he still needs to exhibit commercial pilot knowledge of that airplane, which may well mean being prepared to draw the various systems.

Hope that helps some more.

Latest resources

Back