Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HoursHore said:
Without a doubt the guard / reserve side of the house is a better deal:

If you have enough time to get hired as a civilian before joining the Air Force, I highly recommend the Guard and reserve, especially for the variety it provides and the added insurance against furlough.

Pros and Cons with both: It's really up to you, and your life plans/family situation.

ACTIVE DUTY:

Active Duty Retirement--Retirement checks start immediately (don't have to wait until you're 60 like you do Guard/AFRES)
Health coverage--(I know ANG/AFRES gets some of this when activated, but the peace of mind of having this is awesome, especially if you have a familty).
MOVING--You'll move around alot more while on Active Duty--Every 2-3 Years
LIVING ON BASE--My wife and kids really enjoyed it.
Flying a desk--Career broadening assignments--You're always thinking about what could happen next assignment--Parts of flying different airplanes is great, but for most guys, flying a desk is a drag--

GUARD/AFRES
Live where you want--Obviously it's easier to live near your unit--Or live where your airline is--Take it from my personal experience, DO NOT COMMUTE TO BOTH
Deployments--They're bad on AD and ANG/AFRES--It's part of the deal, so grin and bear it--If you're single, it's often one of the best deals going--If you're missing kid's birthday, it gets old pretty fast
Additional duties--just like Active, you'll be expected to do more than just drive planes
"My fun meter is pegged right now"--If you're in the ANG/AFRES, you get to "escape" the military for a few weeks if you need to.
PROMOTION--More straightforward in the ANG/AFRES...be careful though because there are a limited # of slots in each unit (specifically for LtCol and above)--Sometimes people retire early or switch units trying to keep building their mil retirement.
Base/Unit Closures--I had a close call in my AFRES unit--Nothing like being on furlough from your airline AND having to worry about your AFRES unit closing at the same time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back