AD vs Reserves/Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

psysicx

This question is for all you prior service guys.Would you have gone reserves/guard instead of AD if you knew about it?Or was AD a better experience that you can't get in the reserves.Thanks

Don’t ever whore yourself out on the weekends.

psysicx said:
This question is for all you prior service guys.Would you have gone reserves/guard instead of AD if you knew about it?Or was AD a better experience that you can't get in the reserves.Thanks

Personally, I wouldn't trade my AD time. I got to go into combat as well as see places/do things I never would have if I started in the ANG.

That being said, the ANG has a bunch of pros (and a few cons as well.)

psysicx said:
It seems if you want fighters your best chance is AD.

That depends. If you've got an "in" at a ANG fighter unit and they hire you, as long as you get your wings, you've got a fighter. As long as that unit doesn't close or convert aircraft, you've also got a fighter for your whole career.

Going the AD route means you have to compete with all the other dudes who want fighters too. If you're not in the top 10% of your class, you won't touch a fighter straight out of UPT. That assumes they have fighter assignments to give out when you get your wings.

My UPT class had 30 start, we graduated 20 and the fighters were a reserve F-16 and a F-15. We also had a F-111 and an OV-10. The rest were heavies and UPT instructor slots.

Each way has its pros/cons. If I was just starting out and had some time to play the system (not getting close to age limit), I'd try the guard first and then go with the AD second.

Stay away from AD.

The guys in my Reserve unit made airline contacts and got hired by the majors 2 to 3 years ahead of their peers who went the AD route and got stuck with 8 years of AD. I believe the committment is now 10 years after pilot training!

AD you are stuck....like it or not. A good friend of mine who is an AF pilot recently got told--"Hey, you have been non-vol'd to fill a 120 day ground assignment in Baghdad" 120 days of paperwork...away from the kids. Doesn't matter what you had planned in your life....you gotta go.

Go Guard or Reserve. You can turn it up or turn it off if it gets to you. There are enough oppoortunities for work that you could get long term orders or when you find another job, just do it for extra pay. You can be an AF pilot and officer only when you want to be. Short of an activation...they can't make you go somewhere for a crappy assignment against your will. Travel when you want....stay at home when you want....have every holiday off...have your family's birthday's off....be there for the birth of your child.

Get a good Guard or Reserve job. The fellas are close knit, will take care of you, and put the word in for an airline job---you can have your cake and eat it too. When you are on the 757 and flying F-16s whenever you want, look at your buddies that are still on AD working their tails off as Executive officers and sent to the desert to be a planner.

The charm of combat and "Been there, seen that" wears off. Relish the time spent doing what you want, when you want, where you want, and with the people you want to be with. Keep control of your life.

Potrack,

I agree, sort of....

When you get activated, you don't get a vote. Doesn't happen much, but when it does you are as stuck as an active duty guy. Not trying to discourage ANG/Reserve hopefuls, but realize Reservists are going to the combat zones as much if not more than some active duty units. When your unit gets called up, you can't say "nah...I'll stay home and fly for my airline this month..." You go, you may take a pay cut, you may get shot at, and you might not even make it home....but you will go.

Not trying to be a cold glass of water--just know what it does mean when you raise that right hand.

I'm glad someone agrees but I think the last post potrack posted was the most selfish, load of dookie I have seen in a long time.

You aren't a pilot or an officer when you want to be. You are one 24/7 if you choose to be unprofessional and not fulfil you commitment that is a reflection on you.

If you have that attitude in the Guard or active duty you won't be in either very long. People will quickly understand what you are all about and will do everything they can to distance themselves from you.

As far as the original question goes, I knew about the guard and reserve before I joined and wanted nothing more than to go active. Not to take away from those that serve in guard or reserve but I wanted my military experience to be my primary focus not something that I had to break away from my "real life" to do. To each his own. You have to do what is right for you.

For what its worth...

My unit has enough work to keep plenty of guys on voluntary active duty orders. We've got plenty of Majors laid off from their airlines who are still making six figures flying for the reserves. We've had these orders for years and they don't look like they're going away. There's no problem getting off or on anytime. Of course the orders could go away at some point...

Maybe not a reason to go one way or the other, but a consideration.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back