AD to Guard/Reserve Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tatin12

Is there a time limit once you leave AD (separation) in which you can join a guard or reserve unit? I'm wondering if there is a limit to the time gap you can have between leaving AD and joining Guard or Reserve. In case this is significant, I was a Captain who separated in 2007. I probably won't do Guard or Reserves for a couple more years and don't want to miss a window...if there is one. Yes, I realize it would be better to join sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance!

I know for the Navy Reserve

Is there a time limit once you leave AD (separation) in which you can join a guard or reserve unit? I'm wondering if there is a limit to the time gap you can have between leaving AD and joining Guard or Reserve. In case this is significant, I was a Captain who separated in 2007. I probably won't do Guard or Reserves for a couple more years and don't want to miss a window...if there is one. Yes, I realize it would be better to join sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance!

In the Navy, you are actually carried along in the IRR usually when you depart AD for a number of years. At that time you would be either promoted or passed over for 03, regardless of the fact you are participating, usually based on the needs of the services reserve numbers. There is no time limit in the Navy, but the longer your out, the harder it is to find a use for you in the Reserves if you choose to reaffiliate. A lot would probably depend on what you are doing while not in the reserves actively.
Luv

Thanks Luv. Appreciate the help. Anyone else have any info?

We have a couple of guys that came to us off the IRR. I don't know what the time limit is but I think the problem you may have is finding a unit that would want you. Assuming that you are looking for a flying slot.

The unit would have to pay to send you back to the school house to get qualed. It is cheaper to pick up a guy that just came off active duty because they are current.

The unit would have to pay to send you back to the school house to get qualed. It is cheaper to pick up a guy that just came off active duty because they are current.

Shack.

Currency is the key. At least on the fighter side the availability of TX/RQ courses is extremely limited. Your best bet is to be current/qualified when looking to go guard/reserves.

It all depends upon how badly the unit wants/needs you. If you are planning on flying, then they have to decide whether they will pay for a requal course.

I took a desk job after a four year break. No problem. My unit was picking up guys with up to an eight year break.

Your best bet is to call and ask.

Shack.

Currency is the key. At least on the fighter side the availability of TX/RQ courses is extremely limited. Your best bet is to be current/qualified when looking to go guard/reserves.

I can second this. The Air Force Reserve and Guard units usually want a guy who has flown a military aircraft in the preceeding 36 months. If you left in 2007 I would start looking for a unit right now. The process can take several months to over a year before everything is processed.

Latest resources

Back