Actual Combat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CX880

Do most mil pilots never see any actual combat? Besides an actual war, what determines your ability to be sent to actual combat?

...what determines your ability to be sent to actual combat?
Mainly what squadron you're assigned to. When a conflict occurs, certain units are picked to accomplish the mission. If you're fortunate enough to be in that squadron, you'll probably see some action when the time comes.

You never know....

A regular board poster here (not me!) Shot down a Mirage as wingman in the Gulf War...on his first tour. Another friend, who was a WIC IP, waited 17 years until he was a Squadron CC to even get to fly in the container doing "combat" while maintaining no fly zones.

Those guys who choose "sissy" planes like transports in your UPT class may be in fact flying into harms way dodging SAMs and AAA regularly, while your "manly" fighter is circling the states doing Operation Noble Eagle Caps or going to Red Flag far from any real danger. The point is...you never know. You train to be ready, and ANY weapon system can find itself on the battlefield somewhere.

Good point. My big fat slow P-3 was shot at several times. We ain't exactly going to outrun much.

You never know....

A regular board poster here (not me!) Shot down a Mirage as wingman in the Gulf War...on his first tour. Another friend, who was a WIC IP, waited 17 years until he was a Squadron CC to even get to fly in the container doing "combat" while maintaining no fly zones.

Those guys who choose "sissy" planes like transports in your UPT class may be in fact flying into harms way dodging SAMs and AAA regularly, while your "manly" fighter is circling the states doing Operation Noble Eagle Caps or going to Red Flag far from any real danger. The point is...you never know. You train to be ready, and ANY weapon system can find itself on the battlefield somewhere.

True words, my friend.

I have lost friends and coworkers flying C130s and small, single engine prop planes....helicopters.....pretty much everyone except Trainers and C21s and that new 737-700 will be subject to combat flying. Well...I doubt the N Asset aircraft will be close to the shooting..but they'll be near it.

.....pretty much everyone except Trainers and C21s and that new 737-700 will be subject to combat flying.

Actually you'd be surprised where "that new 737-700" has already been tasked to fly....let's just say defensive manuevers are being developed, test flown and validated....and defensive systems are being installed on many of the blue-n-whites.

Not combat, but....

Years ago, an NKC-135 crew reported having been "straddled" by debris while photographing re-entry vehicles in the South Pacific. No hits, or they might have become the only airplane ever shot down by an ICBM! :eek:

Golden BB

Years ago, an NKC-135 crew reported having been "straddled" by debris while photographing re-entry vehicles in the South Pacific. No hits, or they might have become the only airplane ever shot down by an ICBM! :eek:
Talk about the proverbial "golden BB!"

Actually you'd be surprised where "that new 737-700" has already been tasked to fly....let's just say defensive manuevers are being developed, test flown and validated....and defensive systems are being installed on many of the blue-n-whites.

That should keep the AMC remf's out of the airplane.

I guess all they will have left to fly then is the gliders at the Zoo.:nuts:

Latest resources

Back