• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Acquisition or Merger?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Given the way this deal was put together, its entirely possible that this scenario exists: 1. SWA operates AAI as a subsidiary.
2. SWA begins dumping 717s.
3. As the 717s go, AAI is forced to furlough pilots
4. AAI 737 positions on the Boeing line are transferred to SWA.
5. SWA changes those -700 options to -800s.
6. As those airplanes roll off the line, they are assigned to SWA.
7. AAI furloughees are brought back on the bottom of the SWA list.

The longer it takes to get an SLI agreement, the greater the chance that AAI pilots are furloughed.

Personally, I don't think SWA has any intention of operating the 717s one day longer than they have to.

That is just crazy. Scare tactics DON'T WORK. You will have SLI arbitration, and there will be Airtran pilots mixed in with SWA pilots on the list, which means there will also be Southwest guys at the bottom, especially anyone hired after the merger announcement. Get used to it.

Bye Bye---General Lee

In this case, "seat protection" will be prevented by Bond McKaskill.

What's more, a negotiated solution is what is best for BOTH pilot groups. "Seat protection" will not be part of any negotiated solution.

Fences can be placed by Arbitrators, around positions or bases. They can say Airtran brought in this many planes, so they have to keep this many Captain positions for 10 years, minimum. It's called rolling the dice!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Leases can and have been renegotiated. AS had horrible leases on the MDs, but it didn't stop them from retiring them early.

What are the penalties, Ty? How much of that can be offset by the costs involved with operating a diverse fleet, especially if 50+ of the airplanes are essentially a derelict type with limited parts supplies?

The reason SWA probably won't get rid of the 717s is because a certain other BIG legacy based in a similar base is very interested in them. They actually already hired someone from Airtran to set up a 717 program SHOULD THE OPPORTUNITY PRESENT ITSELF. I personally think SWA should dump the 717s. Yeah, that would be cool. That could help with a 100 seater problem.

Bye Bye---General Lee

The reason SWA probably won't get rid of the 717s is because a certain other BIG legacy based in a similar base is very interested in them. They actually already hired someone from Airtran to set up a 717 program SHOULD THE OPPORTUNITY PRESENT ITSELF. I personally think SWA should dump the 717s. Yeah, that would be cool. That could help with a 100 seater problem.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Dump the 717 leases? Absolutely not, as stated the lease returns would be costly, but..

Selling the planes with the leases intact would not be.

I'm not sure what Gary's vision is for the 717, but the options are wide open, just like the various angles to the SLI merger.

GL,

I don't see an ATL fence due to our point to point operations. The 717s could go to TX/CA for two steppin. Can/will an arbitrator seat protect without a geographical fence? Within the current CBA, SWA CPs are not seat protected and can be downgraded by company choice...CPs cannot be bumped out of a pilot base by a more senior pilot unless there is vacancy bid to that base...

General if this does happen, and I wouldn't mind seeing it happen, I would think that you would be very happy to give relative seniority to the AirTran pilots that would be coming with those 717s. So since the General has spoken it will happen. DAL will get the 717s and SWA will get 30+ gates in ATL.

Shootr,

Don't get me wrong, like all pilots I am greedy and want to get as much out of this deal as I can, but it is up to the NC/Arb/GK not me....I am ready for an unfavorable outcome (relative seniority) if it happens, hopefully it will not and it will be some sort of DOH blend that acknowledges the size and CBA differences between the airlines and gives SWA pilots (especially those at the bottom of the list) a seniority bump. That seems fair to me. BUT IT IS NOT UP TO ME and I am ready for the "worst case" scenario. I may agree to a fence solution if the AAI pilots would operate under their CBA pay rates while operating within the fence...if they want to leave the fence they hold whatever seat their global seniority will allow them...that seems fair and the AAI pilots will assume some of the risk if the combined airline does not grow...I do not think relative seniority or seat protection is fair...but it is NOT UP TO ME.

You and SWAPA have more power than you think. Don't settle when it comes down to a vote or letting your reps know what you'll accept.

The 717's are leased, and there would be big penalties to getting rid of them.

You don’t think SWA has a way out of those leases if needed?

Latest resources

Back