Accident reports

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

falcondriver

Does anybody know why some accidents or incidents end up in the FAA reports and some don't? I know pilots who have caused over 200,000 dollars in damage to airplanes and you can't find any info about it in the FAA reports.
FD

Where are you looking?

Usually an incident/accident will only go in ONE of either the NTSB or FAA databases.

If it is an "accident" (substantial damange) it will probably be in the NTSB database, http://www.ntsb.gov.

If not, it will probably be in the FAA accident/incident database (AIDS) at http://nasdac.faa.gov. Sometimes it takes awhile to show up in either.

Some times

Sometimes they just dont tell the FAA. But 200,000 in damage with out being reported. There was a Comanche 260 at the FBO I rented from, been geared up 4 times. I looked up the plane and it only had 2 in the database. The owner who I had never met, geared the plane up and got it fixed in a few months. Within 5 hours of it being fixed he does it again. I have read that 50% of the gear up landing are not reported. But like I said 200G's seam real high to not be reported.

falcondriver said:
I have looked every where and never found anything on the accident.
FD
I assume by everywhere, that's including the sites I mentioned above. How long ago did it happen?

A gear up landing is usually not an accident. Look up NTSB part 830. If its not an accident it doesnt have to be reported.

Latest resources

Back