Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
Anyone have any first hand knowledge of life after a accident caused by mechanical failure? If I were to have a engine failure in a piston airplane and the plane is totalled, will my chance of being hired by a regional be effected?

my guess is if it was a mechanical problem they will be only interested in how you handled it.
if there was a violation I would feel more like I was in the hot seat.
good luck

Steve said:
Anyone have any first hand knowledge of life after a accident caused by mechanical failure? If I were to have a engine failure in a piston airplane and the plane is totalled, will my chance of being hired by a regional be effected?

Nah, I doubt it. Unless you hit a tree in the middle of a huge field.

Heck it'll give you a good story to tell on the interview. Just remember to start the story with "There I was.." and of course tell them that the only reason the plane was totalled is because you swerved to miss a small child running through the field and ended up cartwheeling.

Seriously, don't sweat it. Just tell them what you learned from it.

Steve said:
Nahhhhh...you're good to go. Just chalk it up to it being an "accident" and move on.

Tell them while you were heating up the spoon and you dropped the needle and hence crashed. Honestly is the best policy, not! J/k. Good luck with the interview, you'll do fine.

I balled up a Piper Apache when I lost an engine right after takeoff. I got hired a ACA/Indpendence three months after I got my medical back. No violations, hell the Fed didn't even file a report. He told me that I deserved a medal for not killing anyone. I sure didn't deserve a black mark on my file. Even so it is in the NTSB database so I brought a copy of their report to the interview. They really seemed to like the fact that I was up front with the information about the mishap. I was in class ten days after the interview.

Latest resources

Back