Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Accident: Alaska Airlines B734 at Sitka on Dec 20th 2008, ground power unit causes ca

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good points. You sound like you know much more than your average pilot.

How about CO levels in the blood were not critical on the ground, but at higher cabin alt, the reduced ppO2 unmasked the CO?

It certainly sounds plausible, but from a treatment standpoint, it's almost irrelevant. Whether someone was at 5000 feet when they presented with symptoms vs someone who was at sea level...the treatment will still be the same. CO "muscles out" O2 by something like a factor of 200:1. So whether you are at sea level, or cabin altitude, its such a minor difference percentage wise compared to the affinity CO has to attach to hemoglobin over the O2 that it is irrelevant from a treatment standpoint, but I see no reason symptoms couldn't present sooner, or more seriously in a situation like that.

A good EMT/Paramedic will put that piece of the puzzle together with all the others and help them develop a plan, and pass that information to the receiving hospital so they can diagnose the problem quicker.

It's amazing how much a Paramedic/EMT can do to help a patient, just by gathering information and passing it along in an organized format to the receiving physician. You can save 5 minutes of Q&A by the Dr so they can start advanced treatment that much sooner. In this situation, a Doctor may make the decision to send the patient to a hyperbaric chamber based on the information provided, whereas in the absence of that information, they wouldn't have. It may be a stretch, but it could be the difference between minor disability and full function.

Last edited:
I have been overwhelmed by the GPU's that we have. They are extremely close to the airplane and obviously not approved by the EPA.

News is now saying 2 critical condition. I would think the guy doing the spraying gets it way worse.

What? I had AA spray deice into our running APU last year whilst sitting at the gate. Smoked up the entire cabin. PAX and FAs almost popped the slides (and I'm not sure they shouldn't have).

Smelled bad and the FAs had a bit of a headache so they went back to the hotel. No one was in critical condition and they got a full dose in the back.

Curious.

What? I had AA spray deice into our running APU last year whilst sitting at the gate. Smoked up the entire cabin. PAX and FAs almost popped the slides (and I'm not sure they shouldn't have).

Smelled bad and the FAs had a bit of a headache so they went back to the hotel. No one was in critical condition and they got a full dose in the back.

Curious.

I don't know that it makes a difference as I don't know the facts of either case, however, I do know that there is a big difference between getting sprayed with type-1 vs. type-4. Type-4 is some nasty stuff. Had a flight attendant get taken off on a stretcher on an EMB-145 after being shot in the face with type-4. The door seals on the EMB were/are really bad and if they hit the right spot under pressure it would go right into the cabin.

Later

Latest resources

Back