Accelerated IFR Courses?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Branch Breaker

I am trying to finish up my Instrument during spring break and I'd like to do it someplace other than the Michigan cold and snow. Does anyone know of any good places anywhere in Florida or out West? I am looking at the end of February and I will have about 5-6 days to do it. I don't need much, maybe 5 more hours hood time and 15 with a CFII to prep for the checkride. Thanks!

Well, you can try Tallahassee, Fl. There is a nice FBO called FlightLine. I woulnd't recommend coming to Panama City airport to get your rating, to be honest with you. FlightLine has some really nice airplanes and nice equipment.

If you need some info, give me a PM.

Good Luck,

Do not go accelerated ( my opinion)

Fly at a local fbo where you plan to do your flying and not squeeze to much stuff in at once .Also beware of places that teach the rating ( just enough to pass the checkride . I hear FAA is scrutinizing self examining schools that teach accelerated courses . Also learning to fly IFR in some wheat field is far different from actual in a major city!!! Vavso .

Thanks for the replies so far. I have been flying at a local airport and I have been flying around the very busy Detroit Airspace for the past couple years. The equipment has just gone to hell and there aren't too many other places in the area, we really need a good flight school in the area and I haven't found any near by. I just want to get it out of the way now, I have a decent amount of actual, it's just this time of the year you can forget about it because of the icing. I also finally have a spring break off so I figure I should do something I enjoy and get the career rolling at the same time.

sheble

Try sheble's at www.shebleaviation.com

They'll probably cut you a deal. Thier normal 'instrument' course is 9 days. They're in Las Vegas and they used to be in Bullhead City, AZ too, but moved somewhere near by. Try to get your commercail out of the way while your there.

Scott

When you say you need "about 5 hood time and 15 with a CFII," make sure that's what it will really take.

If it were my signature, twenty hours would be about the lowest I could fly with someone for the instrument before I really trusted them to go it alone in the clouds. The flying skills are such a small part of that equation too.

Sounds like you're about in great shape to do that though. Just make sure you are being honest with yourself and about your abilities and capabilities.

Aside from that, I'd say don't mess with an "accelerated school." Any FBO can be an accelerated school. Just find a CFII somewhere you trust, and block off a hunk of time with him/her and the airplane, and get them to understand you want to finish up in that time (so they can work with a DPE).

Personally, I'd recommend West Mesa Aviation in ABQ, NM. Never had a bad CFI there, and they've got nice planes to do it in. Of course, I used to work there and love the place dearly.

Dan

FSI

How about sunny, warm Florida for spring break? Traditional for college students. :D

Seriously, FlightSafety Academy in Vero Beach, Florida, http://www.flightsafetyacademy.com/, has a lot of resources, including many aircraft and sims, and probably can accomodate you. They do primarily 141 training but can work with you on a Part 61 program. Also, during this time of year, you can get some safe actual. I can vouch for the quality because I instructed there several years ago. Price? Ouch, probably, but it's still worth an e-mail or phone call, 1-800-800-1411.

I went to Sheble for my ATP nearly thirteen years ago when they were in Blythe, California. It's not your father's flight school. Very informal, to say the least.

"Vavso" is giving excellent advice about accelerated schools. Make sure you're going to a reputable place. Just ask around or post a query on the board. You'll get the reponses you need to help make a decision.

Good luck with finding a school.

Last edited:
I know how you feel, I had trouble finding a place to finish my rating. I had about 30 hours of instrument instruction when my instructor left for a 135 job. He couldn't recommend anyone else at the flight club I fly at to finish up with.

I finished up my rating with PIC. My PIC instructor had 5500 hours total and over 2000 hours dual given. He set up a simulator on my kitchen table and every morning we would do 2 to 3 hours on it. In the afternoon we would go out to the airport and fly 2 to 3 hours. Four days of practice, on the fifth I passed my checkride. The have ads in all the magazines, I think the phone number is 1 800 I FLY IFR.

The second idea I read about a few months ago (I think it was a in AOPA magazine). The guy is based in Minnesota and pretty much all he does is IFR training. You start in Minnesota and fly west till you hit the coast, down through CA, NV, AZ and back to the start. You get to fly in and see SF, LA, Vegas, Grand Canyon, etc. You get a great variety of approaches and air space and are pretty much guaranteed to hit some interesting weather. Sorry, I don’t remember the guys name.

I don’t know if any of this appeals to you, good luck.

I saw that one, that guy is based out of MSN I think. It was a really cool looking trip and the price was really good, I think it was about $6000 too! I thought about it, but who knows. He did it all in a 182 too.

Latest resources

Back