Accelerated CFI courses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

navigator72

Anybody know of any accelerated CFI schools around that they can recommend?
I feel the need to be a CFI.
Thanks

Of all the rating not to rush it's the CFI.

I disagree. I did an accelerated coures and did my CFI & CFI-I in about 3 weeks. I fou have a couple of hundered hrs and understand the material oyu should be rdy to go....because remember the CFI is a license to learn.

The one you should not hurry is the initial intsrument rating

I have 2000 hours, so the flying part shouldn't be too hard. I just do better with training when I get a fully involved 2-3 week training session as opposed to sitting home trying to get the CFI done with all the distractions.

I disagree. I did an accelerated coures and did my CFI & CFI-I in about 3 weeks. I fou have a couple of hundered hrs and understand the material oyu should be rdy to go....because remember the CFI is a license to learn.

The one you should not hurry is the initial intsrument rating

I did my CFI-I and then CFI a week apart (I think they were exactly a week apart). However, prior to that I had been studying for both checkrides and ratings for the entire 7 months I was at Airman.

If you understand the materials going into it, the flying is easy...it's a proficiency rating unless done Part 141...then you need X hours.

-mini

Of all the rating not to rush it's the CFI.

I also disagree, I would say the instrument would be the one not to rush.

If you have confidence in your own flying skills, then you can instruct. If you have a CFI then you can instruct properly. Some people take the FOI's for granted but they are very valuable to you if you want to be a good instructor. Every student is different and they don't just want to see a guy/girl who is confident do all the manuevers for them.

The fast track programs teach you the basics, and what you need to pass the checkride. Some just teach you the checkride.

If you are going to instruct do it for the student and not just for the hours, you will learn a lot more that way.

I also disagree, I would say the instrument would be the one not to rush.

If you have confidence in your own flying skills, then you can instruct. If you have a CFI then you can instruct properly. Some people take the FOI's for granted but they are very valuable to you if you want to be a good instructor. Every student is different and they don't just want to see a guy/girl who is confident do all the manuevers for them.

The fast track programs teach you the basics, and what you need to pass the checkride. Some just teach you the checkride.

If you are going to instruct do it for the student and not just for the hours, you will learn a lot more that way.

I'm alittle confused by your post, it actually sounds more like you agree with me. What I was basically trying to get across was that the CFI is something you should really learn. You need to learn and understand how to teach for the CFI. Your flying ability is really secondary to your teaching ability for being a CFI IMO. I did my CFI in just over a month, but I was taught by a DE with 15,000hrs of dual given. He really stressed the importance of actually teaching and not just riding along. Most of my training for the CFI was ground, we only flew for 3-4 hours at the most.

The real way to learn to be a CFI is to do it. You figure out your style in couple of hundred hrs. All you are learning getting your CFI is the fundamentals.

I did my CFII at Minnesota Aviation (http://www.mnaviation.info/) in three days.

I'd recommend them for an accelerated CFI/CFII course if that's what you're looking for and you're near the upper midwest. (Bloody cold here right now though.)

They'll get you through the checkride and pass on some teaching skills. I had just done my CFI with a local instructor, had my written and lesson plans already done so it was pretty simple.

Was it the best experience ever? No. Was it the worst? No. They just did what I expected: Got me through the checkride in a couple of days for what I expected it to cost. Nothing fancy but decent folk and we had fun.

Having done the CFI the "traditional" route and the CFII the accelerated route I can't say that one way is better than the other.

Teaching is primarily your ability to relate and communicate well with your students. If you have that, doesn't matter much how you got the ticket. If you don't have that ability already, spending some time to learn it is probably a good thing.

I learned a ton from the instructors I used for my CFI and I'm glad I did it that way. I'm also glad I whipped out the CFII in a few days down in Albert Lea.

No matter which route, if you focus on the student and not on your own logbook you're ahead of the game.

Latest resources

Back