Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CRJ_Driver

The Man
For those of you who have heard it...and now for those of you who haven't. Tom Moore, president of ACAI stated that ACA has been rejecting UAL offers because the offer as a whole is not in the best interest of ACAI employees or shareholders.

He also went on to say that ACA's contingency plan is better than UAL's offers!

I think ACA is holding out forcing UAL to accept a specific clause in the contract thereby allowing ACA to pull whatever it is out of their sleeve.

Any thoughts?!

What I heard (completely unsubstantiated) is that United wants a clause in the contract saying that they can completely replace us over a 2 year period if they so choose (i.e., spooling up another carrier to take our spot). Tom and Kerry refuse to sign a contract with that in it. We are playing hardball with United because they are in bankruptcy and must have a solid plan to present to the judge. Just the rumor that I heard...

That is not a rumor (UAL replacing us in 2 yrs..not acceptable to ACA). Tom Moore said that himself on the hotline about 2 wks ago.

CRJ,
Thanks for the info. Since that is the case, I am glad Tom and Kerry haven't signed anything with UAL. I think I can see tumbleweeds blowing across IAD and hear the theme music from "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly."

46Driver said:
CRJ,
I think I can see tumbleweeds blowing across IAD and hear the theme music from "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly."

Well, if Mesa replaces us you will certainly see "the bad" and "the ugly", but I'm not so sure about "the good".

Contingency Plan?

What could that plan possibly be. If ACA does not get the United deal, all of those routes it previously flew before will be gone. United owns the routes and slots. Yes I know ASA owns their own gates in some citys, but they just cant come up with a competing route structure over night. Maybe they have another customer up their sleve. Who knows. Maybe United is calling their bluff as well. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this. I am not sure that there is anyone else in the industry poised to take over that many routes.:eek:

Tim,
This is just a guess but what I am thinking is that United has to submit a plan to the judge on restructuring. ACA knows that United needs us in the short term (no one could possibly step in overnight and fill our route structure - it would probably take a 2 year ramp up). Therefore, ACA is forcing United to sign us to a long term plan or immediately do without us betting that the judge will tell United to go with us.
If anybody out there has any better info, please speak up!

46 Driver

At least there is someone out there with the same backgroung as myself on these boards. I also think I live fairly close to you but that would be a PM issue.
Anyway, I fully agree with your outlook on the subject. But my real question is that I dont think ACA's real contigency plan is to just out bluff United. I am interested in their contingency plan if they dont get the United deal. What do you think that could be??

Between you and me, I think United will give you guys the long term contract because dropping you guys would greatly exacerbate their monitary problems.

Anyway good luck to you guys! Tim.;)

Tim,
I've got a lot of friends over at ASA - had one a few months ago make the jump from ACA to ASA - turned out to be quite timely....

We did buy back the ACJet operating certificate from Delta for $1M so we are probably looking at someone else. If I had to place a bet on the roulette wheel of possible airlines - I would go with AirTran - but once again that is absolutely nothing more than a guess. The reasons are: they already have Air Whiskey for a feeder, they need room to expand but can't do in Atlanta, they have a mini hub in Baltimore (conveniently close to our hub in Dulles) and they fly into Midway (conveniently close to our hub at O'Hare). Once again, pure speculation - probably Ty Webb and some of the AirTran bubbas will rule out my guess within 24 hours. :)

Gotta get back to the books, I'm knee deep in grad school as well as a lot of helo flying here at the base. Are you doing any flying on AD or stuck with staff work?

Last edited:
I just got a call from a Capt who stated that while over at Shaw Rd there was the CEO of Virgin Atlantic there with Skeen. Anyone here anything about that?

Latest resources

Back