Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mtsupilot376

happy to be alive
A roll of ACARS paper costs about $75.00 per roll. Your attention to printing only what is necessary is greatly appreciated. We are planning a usage of 4 rolls per aircraft per month ($41,700.00/month -- $500,400.00/year).
Scott

Have you guys seen this? What do you think? Is this really going to cut back on our printing?

I mean the only things I print when I fly is ATIS and only if it is full of NOTAMs or lengthy text.

Ok here is what I came up with. Each roll of ACARS paper is about 100ft. Each ATIS print is roughly 8 in. So thats like 150 ATIS print outs per roll. If we're only allotted 4 rolls per aircraft per month. Thats 600 ATIS printouts per month. Now I don't know much about our aircraft cycles per month but doesn't this seem kind of low? And by the way this is just assuming we only print ATIS. What about when we start printing flight releases in the aircraft in 60 days?

This paper is "Special" paper. It has more value than the U.S Dollar and has tiny gold and silver fragments in it...look closer next time.

This paper is "Special" paper. It has more value than the U.S Dollar and has tiny gold and silver fragments in it...look closer next time.

Why does it have to be "special" paper? Would not just plain adding machine paper or receipt paper (like just about every store uses) work just fine? $75 a roll is nuts!!!

It's thermal paper. It's not cheap even for receipts and stuff... about $35 a roll for the receipt width (2 1/4inch).

more info...

According to honeywell, the printer paper is coated with thermal chemicals to make it work in the printer. I still dont see why the paper is so expensive. I mean wouldn't they offer a bulk price to such a large customer like an airline?

[FONT=Arial,Bold]
2.10 Printer Paper
[/FONT]
The PTA-45B utilizes Thermal Printer Paper Rolls which are 4.375 inches wide typically, with a maximum
diameter of 2.1 inches external and 0.5 inch internal core.
The paper itself is non-perforated to allow for messages of various lengths to be readily removed from the
unit. The printer paper is PN 8050917-0006.

http://www.honeywellcommnav.com/datalink/Printer/prodsum.pdf

It is so expensive because its special
FAA approved paper and as such,
it must be flame retardant.

Just texted a friend who manages a restaurant. 3 1/8 thermal paper is ONE DOLLAR a roll!!!!!!!! Airlines buy in bulk 100 times more than her place. I bet they could get it down to 70 cents if they wanted to.

If you don't step over a dollar to save a dime you aren't doing it right in this industry, as a manager.

Just texted a friend who manages a restaurant. 3 1/8 thermal paper is ONE DOLLAR a roll!!!!!!!! Airlines buy in bulk 100 times more than her place. I bet they could get it down to 70 cents if they wanted to.

If you don't step over a dollar to save a dime you aren't doing it right in this industry, as a manager.

Turns out I was looking at the price per case... you're right

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back