Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
ACA has cancelled all the dornier orders.

The existing ones will stay on the property but they will now use CRJ's.

Looks like people are going back into the 41

Why are they going? I heard that the performance is not so good in hot weather, but they do look pretty cool.

Oh well, the 41 is better than no plane at all.

1900cpt

ACA ordered 25 CRJ's to replace the 32 do jets that they were going to fly in United colors. The two UAX doJets are going to the charter fleet. The 30 in Delta colors will remain. The reason they cancelled the order according to Our president is that they cannot count on Dornier to be around a year from now. What the real issue is is that ACA had a sweetheart deal with Dornier which included cheap airplanes and a take over of the J41 leases. Now they have to wait to get the airplanes from Bombardier but all will come by mid 2004. They only got 25 airplanes vs 32 because of scope issues with United. The only way ACA will get more airplanes is if there is a change United's scope situation. Still with a net gain of 28 more airplanes from what we have now there will still be some hiring over the next couple of years.

1900cpt said:
Why are they going? I heard that the performance is not so good in hot weather, but they do look pretty cool.

Oh well, the 41 is better than no plane at all.

1900cpt

Yeah hot weather performance sucks in that plane.. I only got 4000fpm fully loaded out of CAE the other day. But it wasn't that hot, only about 38C.

Performanced limited TOW doesn't even begin to factor in until somewhere well into the 40+ degree range in this plane. (That's generalized.. I don't happen to have an ASAP book infront of me :D )

Now, trying to carry a full boat out to IND or BNA from LGA with an alternate... that's more of a pain :)

The plane does have some limitations, but performance is not one of them.

Regards...

performance?

If performance isn't a problem, then maybe you could speed them little jets up so we don't have to slow our CRJ's down to 210 knots 300 miles out from cincinnati.

Or at least get 'em on a turboprop arrival ;)

Re: performance?

bvt1151 said:
If performance isn't a problem, then maybe you could speed them little jets up so we don't have to slow our CRJ's down to 210 knots 300 miles out from cincinnati.

Or at least get 'em on a turboprop arrival ;)

Well I definately won't argue that. Our block times are so padded anyway, I have no problem taking a turn or two to let people by.

I felt bad for on USAir type that got stuck behind us going to RIC. Controller told her to slow to 280 for intrail (sp?).. she was like "IN TRAIL TO RICHMOND??@?!??!"

Ah well. Not to worry. We aren't getting any more of them, apparently. Shame, it's a helluva lot more comfortable than that CRJ, even it if it's 50kts slower :)

Patriot

Re: performance?

bvt1151 said:
If performance isn't a problem, then maybe you could speed them little jets up so we don't have to slow our CRJ's down to 210 knots 300 miles out from cincinnati. ;)

Sorry, Love to help you out here but physics and my pay check present a bit of a problem. The plane is limited to .66 and with that being said, we get paid by the hour!;)

:)

To bad you guys have to slow your little CRJ's down going into CVG! I get paid by the hour!

Re: Just Curious

EMB120FO said:
What's the pay on the Dornier Vs. the CRJ over there at ACA?

It's about $9-11/hr depending on longevity at the company and whether or not you look at today's pay rate vs. next years and the following years for the life of the contract. $10/hr difference is a good number for a practical example.

4th year dork is $50.91
for the crj it is $60.79...

But then, not having to go through our crj program is worth about $4/hr in my book, and not having to fly on our united express side is worth at least $7/hr, so in the end it washes out... :)

Edit: I guess I should have mentioned FOs, as we do have a few of those at our company as well. The pay difference is quite a bit different for FOs, but our contract allows almost all the FOs to bid a seat freeze and paid CRJ FO rates. In theory, if you know you aren't going to be upgrading to El Jefe for a while, bid the freeze and at least get a little extra cash. That's the theory, anyway. 2nd year FO on the Dojet is about 24/hr and it's 34 an hour on the crj, fwiw.

Patriot

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back