aca or asa ???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

falcondrivr

i was fortunate enough to be invited for interviews at both aca and asa this week. ive done alot of research, but am having problems comparing them in pay, upgrade time, schedule etc. you know, basic quality of life stuff. if i do luck out and get offered a position at both, i would like to be able to make an educated decision on this.
any input would be great
thanks in advance,
eric

Where do you live? If you can avoid commuting that would be the decision-maker for me.

I work at ACA and we have it pretty good for a regional. The one-year jet upgrades are a thing of the past however. And with the problems at Dornier they have been hiring back into the J-41. (Then again you may get the Brasilia at ASA.) First year pay is around $23/hr with a 75 hour guarantee and 11 days off a month.
Year two is $34-35/hr (that is the CRJ FO rate, and practically everone can use the contract to bid the CRJ and be witheld from training while still getting that pay rate.)

Keep in mind ASA is in negotiations, and that may lead to a strike. A strike is a bad place to be, especially on probation. That being said they will probably wind up with a contract that is slightly better than ours (ie:raise the bar) until our next contract comes up (3.5 years.) This is important. I remember a lot of guys in my new-hire class were not interested in ACA's contract/pay: "Who cares, I'll be at a major in two years." Every one of them is still at ACA.

My advice is to go with the first what that offers you a job, unless you live near ATL, DFW or ORD, LGA, CVG, BOS, IAD.

:p

falcondvr,
When did you interview with asa, and how did you get the interview?(did you have an inside rec?) Congrats on the two offers, and I don't know what to tell you about the decision. I'm sure you'll be happy at either one.

jed

I am an RJ Capt at ASA. It took me 2.5 yrs to upgrade. I have been very happy at ASA. AS far as picking between ACA and ASA, when it comes down to it, the two airlines are relatively the same with the exception that ASA is wholly owned by Delta. That, in itself, could be a determining factor in your decision making. Being owned my Delta means better pass benifits, cockpit jumpseat on Delta (which comes in very handy for us commuters)and I believe greater bargaining power. Our contract expires this Sept, but from what I have been hearing we will probably get a contract extension with somesort of payraise for the short term. In the wake of 9-11, we are not in a position to hold the company "hostage" anyway. Comair nearly commited suicide with that tactic and it definitely would not work for us in this economy.

Good Luck!

Flight Bennies at ACA

ACA does have jump seat on all ACA and all UAL. The seniority on UAL jumps does go to the UAL, but it is available to the ACA Pilot. UAL has also extended travel benefits to ACA employees. DAL has some segment bennies and ID95s.

Roddy

starting pay at ACA is 21/hr. 200/wk in training and no hotel. upgrades look like they will be in excess of 3 yrs. Dornier and Bombardier are very unstable. lines have been promised to be better for more than the past year and are still being built with terrible block (some less than 70, rare to find more than 90) most lines built to 12 days off average. excellent pilot group. just the facts. good luck on your decision

FLT 777

Our contract expires this Sept, but from what I have been hearing we will probably get a contract extension with somesort of payraise for the short term. In the wake of 9-11, we are not in a position to hold the company "hostage" anyway. Comair nearly commited suicide with that tactic and it definitely would not work for us in this economy.

Send me a private email concerning your source. The statement you made is wrong.

As far as holding the company hostage. You are jumping way way ahead of things. ASA going on strike would put Delta in the red big time.

thanks for the info guys.
did aca last week, still waiting (which i hear isnt good).
asa is next tues and im starting to get worried from info ive been hearing. they say internal lor's are mandatory and ive got none. also, they havnt interviewed in a long time. im at the beginning of a huge glut of qualified pilots. it makes me less attractive.

jed,
had a capt walk my stuff in at aca; got called in 2 weeks. interview 1 week later.
sent resume to asa and was called in 6 weeks, interview in 1 week and i dont know anyone there. i think it was just my times they are interested in.
eric

Try to be confident falcondrvr. Having a LOR helps to get an interview, but now you've got that, it's all up to you. They are interested in hiring you, just show them why they should.

Just make sure you look at the ASA gouge, and are well-prepared for the interview. You'll do fine.

RR

Latest resources

Back