ACA New Dornier Jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HERCDRVR

While Space-A'ing for yet anthor 90 interlude on United gracious furlough program, got to fly the inaugural EWR-IAD flight yesterday on ACA's newest A/C, still has that new car smell. I can't describe the excitement of flying on a COMFORTABLE regional jet, leather seats more comfortable than any mainline coach seat. Cockpit-beautiful. Where can I get one??? Congrats ACA on a great aircraft!

Atlantic Coast Airlines Accepts Delivery of First
Fairchild-Dornier 328JET for United Express Fleet

Dulles, VA, (February 12, 2002) - Atlantic Coast Airlines (ACA) (NASDAQ/NM: ACAI) today announced the acceptance of the first 32-passenger Fairchild-Dornier 328JET regional aircraft to go into service as part of the airline’s United Express fleet. That jet will begin revenue flights this Friday morning, February 15th, serving passengers traveling between Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) and Newark International Airport (EWR). This will be the first time the 328JET aircraft will fly in the United Express program.

United Airlines and ACA have agreed to add a total of 32 of the Fairchild-Dornier regional jets to the United Express fleet—all are expected to be delivered before the end of next year. These aircraft are primarily being deployed as replacements for the remaining Jetstream-41 turboprops which are being phased out of the ACA fleet.

Atlantic Coast Airlines President and Chief Operating Officer Tom Moore said, “The delivery of the first 328JET for United Express is another important milestone in the development of our ongoing relationship with Fairchild Aerospace. Based on our experience with this aircraft, we know it will be immediately welcomed by our United Express passengers, as well as our partners at United Airlines, since it takes us another step closer to our ultimate goal of becoming an all-regional jet carrier.”

ACA has already been flying the 328JET as part of its Delta Connection operation since August 2000, and currently operates 29 of them for Delta Air Lines. One more will be delivered for the Delta Connection program later this month.

Atlantic Coast Airlines operates as United Express in the Eastern and Midwestern United States, and as Delta Connection in the Eastern U.S. and Canada. The company has a fleet of 122 aircraft—including 91 regional jets—and offers over 760 daily departures, serving 63 destinations in the U.S. and Canada.

The company employs approximately 4,000 aviation professionals. The common stock of parent company Atlantic Coast Airlines Holdings, Inc. is traded on the Nasdaq National Market under the symbol ACAI. For more information about ACA, visit our website at www.atlanticcoast.com.

Originally posted by HercDrvr
I can't describe the excitement of flying on a COMFORTABLE regional jet, leather seats more comfortable than any mainline coach seat.

:confused:
Comfortable? Try sitting on one for 2.5 hours, like on some of the CVG-New England routes. Compared to the CRJ, it's like being locked in a beer can. It's noisy too... those engines are right next to your window.
And with it cruising at 398KTAS, it's going to be a long, cremped, noisy ride.
Give me a CRJ any day. From now on I'll jumpseat offline rather than nonrev on one of those things.
(Yes, I had a bad experience with ACA)

ifly4food said:

Compared to the CRJ, it's like being locked in a beer can. It's noisy too... those engines are right next to your window.
And with it cruising at 398KTAS, it's going to be a long, cremped, noisy ride.

Seats are leather and two inches wider than the CRJ.
3 across vs 4 across seating.
Cabin height is 2 and a half inches taller than CRJ.
You can pee upright in the lav.

Most pilots know to avoid sitting next to jet engines, however, I would recommend that you avoid rows 6-8 and for some reason row 12 all the way in the back gets a jet engine harmonic.

We get paid by the hour, so 389kts helps my paycheck. We are 8% slower than a CRJ, that's 10 minutes on a 2 hour flight.

And as a group, the ACA pilots fight Delta gate agents to enforce our contractual rights to unlimited jump seats every day. ACA may have the most screwed up management in the Regionals but the flight crews are good people.

tarp said:
Seats are leather and two inches wider than the CRJ.
3 across vs 4 across seating.
Cabin height is 2 and a half inches taller than CRJ.
You can pee upright in the lav.

Yes, but how much knee room do you have compared to the CRJ? The thing just seems claustrophobic.

Most pilots know to avoid sitting next to jet engines, however, I would recommend that you avoid rows 6-8 and for some reason row 12 all the way in the back gets a jet engine harmonic.

You don't get much choice when the flight is full. I was lucky to even get on considering we only get S3C priority on you (for the record, I think you should get the same benefits we do, not that $30 fee per leg garbage).

We get paid by the hour, so 389kts helps my paycheck. We are 8% slower than a CRJ, that's 10 minutes on a 2 hour flight.

That's one way to look at it! Still stinks from a pax perspective, though.

And as a group, the ACA pilots fight Delta gate agents to enforce our contractual rights to unlimited jump seats every day.

So do we, but we also have to fight our own ignorant gate agents.

ACA may have the most screwed up management in the Regionals but the flight crews are good people.

Never denied that. You're a good bunch who deserve more respect than Delta gives you. I just don't like the Do328 Jet. They took a great turboprop and ruined it with jets.

Last edited:
I just don't like the Do328 Jet. They took a great turboprop and ruined it with jets.

Just like they ruined the brasilia.

The DO 328J is a nice plane. The cockpit was first rate and the a/c sure does jump off the runway. It does have a little bit of tail waggle but I guess thats from the wing mounted engines. So its not as fast as an RJ or doesn't climb as high. Who cares.

I've flown in back from Burlington to CVG and it was comfortable and the cabin service was excellent. Just for the record, I've sat in back of a few of our RJ's with the old seats and thought I was going to fall right through the bottom. Old and tired after 3 years is what they are.

Any jet is better then a turboprop !!!

Hey IFly,

Reading your post was the first time I saw someone want to ride in an RJ instead of the 328.

Here at AirWis, most of the guys that have flown both will tell you that the interior of the 328 is bigger, with passengers able to stand in the cabin, walk down the wider isles (spelled wrond I know) and sit in bigger seats.

They'll also tell you how the auto-pilot is better but there are arguments whether or not the FMS is better.

Granted, the DoJet is a funny creater. As a turbo prop it's only matched by the Q400 or maybe the newest ATR's. As a Jet, it's slow, small and has funny boots that are colored to look like hot wings.

Anyhoo, not an attack on your opinion, but it's interesting to read it.

S.

Originally posted by rjcap

I've flown in back from Burlington to CVG and it was comfortable and the cabin service was excellent. Just for the record, I've sat in back of a few of our RJ's with the old seats and thought I was going to fall right through the bottom. Old and tired after 3 years is what they are.

The seats on a CRJ with more than about 1000 hours on it bear a striking resemblance (in comfort level) to the old web strap seats in the back of a C-130.

ugh...

the old web strap seats in the back of a C-130.

Please do not mention this evil place again. I had permenantly blocked out those memories until you brought it up, I guess it is back to therapy...

Do the 328's both PSA and AirWis fly not have this UV protection?

I'm a little skeptical of the UV reasoning.

S.

Latest resources

Back