ACA & Dornier Bankruptcy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

V-1

I had an ACA F.O. jumpseat with us last night. She mentioned that due to Fairchild's bankruptcy, replacement parts weren't being made for their airplanes. Just curious what the prevailing theories are about ACA & the 328Jet? Is the company looking to switch aircraft types, or is there hope Fairchild will survive the bankruptcy?

I think that Fairchild/Dornier has already missed any opportunity to survive bankruptcy. AFAIK, the pieces of Dornier are for sale. It's possible that some company (read Boeing) may buy the aircraft manufacturing division and continue to build the aircraft and the parts. As far as ACA is concerned they have cancelled any future Do deliveries, delayed the retirement of the Jetstreams and instead ordered more CRJs.

This is the first time I've heard anyone mention a lack of parts.

D328 Jets are mx pigs. For being relatively brand new airplanes, they break with an alarming frequency. There about 10 things that happen on a regular basis that anybody who flies the aircraft can't help but become familiar with.

This Fairchild Dornier bankruptcy will definitely hurt our expansion, as I believe the co. had great plans for them. We were also getting a sweetheart deal from F-D; they were paying most of the mx. costs as part of a warranty.

However ACA mgmt is showing some initiative in trying to solve several nagging problems. I believe they have a mx. task force, and in cooperation with subcontractors to the airplanes who supply parts (ie Pratt & Whitney Engines, whoever makes the windshields) they are working to overcome things.

The latest rumor in the D328J world is that we are looking to snap up airplanes as they come up on the used aircraft market. Should be interesting.

BTW that F-D lack of parts situation is interesting. I had a conversation with a PSA 328 prop CA recently and he expressed to me a very similar opinion.

JTrain

The DoJet is about to become an orphan airplane, just like the J41 has been for years. ACA has enough experience with these things to make it work.

Latest resources

Back