• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX says NO THANK YOU to ASTAR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
According to this article, you guys are expanding! Congrats...

ASTAR acquires two more DC-8's
Air Cargo World, Thursday August 02, 2007

ASTAR Air Cargo, in a move to expand following the collapse of their bid for fellow DHL carrier ABX, finalized terms to purchase two DC-8-73 aircraft. The planes have long-range capabilities and come with a spare engine. They are being purchased from Bank of America's leasing division, which had leased them to ASTAR as part of ASTAR's current dedicated fleet assigned to DHL Express under a long-term ACMI agreement expiring in 2019. HSH Nordbank AG, New York Branch, arranged and provided acquisition financing to ASTAR.

"ASTAR made the strategic decision to purchase these airplanes to enhance our position as a provider of airlift services for our primary customer, DHL Express," said Steven A. Rossum, executive vice president and chief financial officer of ASTAR. "This newest acquisition of aircraft is consistent with our business growth strategy to lower our costs and enhance our competitiveness," Rossum said. The purchase raises the question of whether the added capacity may put ASTAR into greater competition with ABX for DHL operations. ABX and DHL have had an increasingly rocky relationship and DHL has grown closer to ASTAR, adding a large stake in the cargo carrier and taking a seat on the airline's four-member board.

I think that's saying that they've bought two of their current DC8s which were previously being leased. It isn't an increase in their fleet, just changing the ownership of existing airplanes.

If AStar felt this was good for us....super. However a press release? Please.

I got up and scratched myself this morning, which was good for me, but I didn't feel the need to put out a press release about it. Why? Cause just like the AStar press release....NOBODY CARES Dasburg, Rossum, McKeen, et al!

If they don't give us a contract in the next 30 days, their by-God gonna see what a real press release looks like.

No worries boog.

They are trying to put the fear of God in the ABX shareholders. Can't you tell its working, especially today.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ABXA [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7.32 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3:43PM [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]0.13 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1.81% [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7.35-[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7.16 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]205,678 [/FONT]

Last edited:
According to this article, you guys are expanding! Congrats...

ASTAR acquires two more DC-8's
Air Cargo World, Thursday August 02, 2007

ASTAR Air Cargo, in a move to expand following the collapse of their bid for fellow DHL carrier ABX, finalized terms to purchase two DC-8-73 aircraft. .

Maybe we should reconsider there offer. They seem have to moved on... Look how there fleet is growing with leaps and bounds. At that rate the will have us fully replaced by 2019.

Maybe we should reconsider there offer. They seem have to moved on... Look how there fleet is growing with leaps and bounds. At that rate the will have us fully replaced by 2019.

See....case in point. He re-names us Astar, put's out idiotic press releases....we reap the shame.

Saw this coming a mile away. Don't blame you either.

If AStar felt this was good for us....super. However a press release? Please.

I got up and scratched myself this morning, which was good for me, but I didn't feel the need to put out a press release about it. Why? Cause just like the AStar press release....NOBODY CARES Dasburg, Rossum, McKeen, et al!

If they don't give us a contract in the next 30 days, their by-God gonna see what a real press release looks like.

No worries boog.

I see where you are coming from AV...if they feel the purchase was better than the lease, great. But as an employee, you can't help but be worried that this may be their vision for the future of your fleet. Or you can look on the bright side and look forward to going into the aviation history books as the last US carrier to operate the DC-8.

I see where you are coming from AV...if they feel the purchase was better than the lease, great. But as an employee, you can't help but be worried that this may be their vision for the future of your fleet. Or you can look on the bright side and look forward to going into the aviation history books as the last US carrier to operate the DC-8.

Don't forget the 72. Last plan I heard was they anticipate another 10yrs. They are awaiting the STC for the satcom, side mount displays, and just purchased a CNC machine to re-due the forward panels. They have made so many cheap mods they are starting to look like swiss cheese.

I hardly think there is a reason to worry about the future of Astar, but your certainly entitled to your dreams.
:beer:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back