• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX says NO THANK YOU to ASTAR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Our turns used to be shorter too. DHL moved the arrivals up and departures back. Also, how many pieces were sorted in CVG and how many now in ILN, that's why it takes longer.

I reread my post from the other day. I did not mean to come accross so harsh. I just wanted to say that I hope the ABX pilots don't get screwed by Hete. I hope Hete and the board did not screw the employees of ABX by not accepting DAZ's offer. I know Daz is no prize but in the long run I still believe that the Pilots at Astar and ABX would be better off together AND WORKING TOGETHER than not.

DHL has always been an express company. That was their only product they offered until recently. Overnight express was it! And guess what? They did it well!! Fact!! Even in their screwed up ignigma of an operation. Earlier this year the University of Georga performed a test of UPS, FED-EX, DHL systems. They pushed the limit of each company in every aspect of their opperations. Who was the best. Believe it or not good old DHL!!! That made me feel good. I want DHL to do well because if they do then MAYBE just MAYBE I will too. I think DP has made it very clear that they fully intend to do well in the USA. DP is spending money here like it grows on trees. And DP has the money make no mistake about that!! Lots of money!! It will take years for DHL to clean up the mess that DHL itself has created. And they will.

From a business view point the C container makes no sense at all. And all the junk equipment it requires. When DHL gets a fully automated system at ILN you will see why the A container works better. In CVG our hub turns were only about 3 hours not this 5-7 hour S--T!!

you are correct about DHL express. My point is that since being founded in 1969, DHL had never run the express business as it should. That is why the international business had grown leaps and bounds while the US market (the best days for US companies as customers) declined. The push in the early '80's only provided DHL with 2-3% of the domestic market share. By the late '80's that grew to around 5% only to decrease back to 2% by the late '90's. By purchasing Airborne, their market share screamed to around 21% only to be on a decline since. So you have to deduce that someone making the decisions for DHL in the US is incompetent.

I hope you are right about the new equipment making DHL a better competitor against UPS and FedEx. But it was my understanding the new "smalls" sort has already been on line. What are they working on now?

Last edited:
It's official, "Hot News" release of our purchase of the first 767ER from Air China.

1 down, 4 to go. I wonder when they will release the rest of the AA aircraft.

Shooter, legit question.....

I hear the phrase, "Airborne knew the right way to get Express done and DHL doesn't know jack about it." or something to that affect and often a positive statement regarding the C can tied to it. Now, I'm all for thinking outside the box, (no pun intended), but given that no other shipper in the world who ships "express" has gone to the C- can and the Chinese have never sought fit to steal the patent and make them cheaper, I've always been surprised that Airborne/ABX folks seemed to think that the C-can was gonna set the world on fire, once they all apprently realized how inferior A-cans were. Do the ABX folks see this like the old "VHS" vs. "Beta" debate, where clearly the better choice is shouted down by larger more established entities?

I can see how the C-can may have worked for Airborne for a time, but it just seems that the way forward would have eventually meant A-cans.

Last, as far as laying investor money on ABX or AStar.....I never tought either of us had the whole package. ABX, 2 man crews and some fan engine jets, but almost no cargo doors and fairly ineficient (IMO) DC-9s. AStar, Cargo door fleet and long history of doing things the "DHL way", but also, no CATII, 3 man crews, and hangar queen A-300s.

Depending on how things play out, we'll see whether or not Joe and Das made the best decisions. Joe wanted more money than DHL would give and ANA was willing to pony up. Das/DHL, seeing that Joe was desiring to pull away from DHL, decided to see if they could re-rope the ABX calf into the herd. So far, not.

Last Q. Since Joe seems to be headed in another direction, one that doesn't involve DHL, and yall seem pleased with this decision, do you think yall are gonna be pi$$ed if we suddenly announced an AStar refleet plan? Not baiting, and I don't know of one. Just wondering.

Shooter, legit question.....

I hear the phrase, "Airborne knew the right way to get Express done and DHL doesn't know jack about it." or something to that affect and often a positive statement regarding the C can tied to it. Now, I'm all for thinking outside the box, (no pun intended), but given that no other shipper in the world who ships "express" has gone to the C- can and the Chinese have never sought fit to steal the patent and make them cheaper, I've always been surprised that Airborne/ABX folks seemed to think that the C-can was gonna set the world on fire, once they all apprently realized how inferior A-cans were. Do the ABX folks see this like the old "VHS" vs. "Beta" debate, where clearly the better choice is shouted down by larger more established entities?

I can see how the C-can may have worked for Airborne for a time, but it just seems that the way forward would have eventually meant A-cans.

Last, as far as laying investor money on ABX or AStar.....I never tought either of us had the whole package. ABX, 2 man crews and some fan engine jets, but almost no cargo doors and fairly ineficient (IMO) DC-9s. AStar, Cargo door fleet and long history of doing things the "DHL way", but also, no CATII, 3 man crews, and hangar queen A-300s.

Depending on how things play out, we'll see whether or not Joe and Das made the best decisions. Joe wanted more money than DHL would give and ANA was willing to pony up. Das/DHL, seeing that Joe was desiring to pull away from DHL, decided to see if they could re-rope the ABX calf into the herd. So far, not.

Last Q. Since Joe seems to be headed in another direction, one that doesn't involve DHL, and yall seem pleased with this decision, do you think yall are gonna be pi$$ed if we suddenly announced an AStar refleet plan? Not baiting, and I don't know of one. Just wondering.

wasn't going to "set the cargo world on fire" because ABX held the patent on it and would not release it. Maybe now that DHL owns the patent, it will be opened for all carriers. Good questions though. More to ponder about the future of Air Cargo...........

p.s. the re-fleet Astar would be great news for you and DHL. Your airline needs it. I don't see why I would be upset, it is long over due. Actually I would breathe a sigh of relief since it means Das is going to try and build an airline rather than hose some other work group for all their hard work. Got some hot news of your own???:)

Last edited:
AV8OR, with all RJ's on line and all those EMB-120's being parked, don't you think the C-container is a better option to convert than net a loose load? Could be the future short hauls on the ramp. And DHL owns it. What do you think? Want to buy a couple EMB-120's w/me?

AV8OR, with all RJ's on line and all those EMB-120's being parked, don't you think the C-container is a better option to convert than net a loose load? Could be the future short hauls on the ramp. And DHL owns it. What do you think? Want to buy a couple EMB-120's w/me?

Shooter,

Thanks for the invite, but,

A. I ain't got any money.

B. I think we're too late. I've seen at least one Brasilia on the ramp already.

C. I need more than a 1.75% return on my investment.

Maybe we could get something done with that idea in
Asia. You got any connections there?:beer:

Shooter,

Thanks for the invite, but,

A. I ain't got any money.

B. I think we're too late. I've seen at least one Brasilia on the ramp already.

C. I need more than a 1.75% return on my investment.

Maybe we could get something done with that idea in
Asia. You got any connections there?:beer:

A. borrow it, like me.:eek:

B. I think that is a loose load Brazilia, we would use the C-container.

C. Got me there.

I ain't flyin no Brazilian A/C in Asia....the world might stop turning!:laugh:

(They could not even get all the labeling in english in there.)

Shooter, are the floors of the RJ even able to handle a cargo load. Also why use a jet when you can get a turbo prop, more efficient on the short hauls. Think ATR 42/72, Saab 2000, Jetstream41. I bet you could get a sweet deal on a few of any of the above. Offer a "mesa" like deal to start flying in Asia and you are set. I got about $20 and am looking to invest heavily, let me know when you are ready........:pimp:

Latest resources

Back