Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TheCheat

4 8 15 16 23 42
So what's the QOL like over there? There hasn't been much said about ABX recently. Specifically how many days away from home at a time? What's the max time they can keep you out? Min days off? Etc.

Thanks... I'm very interested in this job, especially if I can be based in ILN off the bat. Can't very well commute to KIX.

I hope to get some answers this friday at the job fair in Dallas, but would like to avoid asking the "dealbreaker" ones if I can help it.

Thanks

Here you go.

Reserve line holders get 14 hard days off a month
Line holders get 15 hard days off a month.

Reserve has a 2 hour call out while on reserve. There is a no call time of either 6am until 2pm or 4pm until 12midnight. They are not allowed to call you during this "rest" time.

You typically have 2 blocks of work in a month. They do have some back to back lines of 14 straight days on.

I was bidding toward the bottom 2/3rd seniority on the 9. With this I was able to not get the 2 weeks straight. On average I would work about 2 nights in a block. That included doing R1 (airport reserve from 8pm until 6am). I think I was gone 2 or 3 weekends in the last 10 months from base doing a 3 day weekend trip. I was able to jumpseat home from the trip so it was not all that bad.

These are my averages from Jan, we have been getting busier as we loose crews to the 767 and upgrade / retirements. It will get busy around the holidays then should return to "normal"

QOL is good if you live around DAY CMH CVG, or at a station that we fly to (and you can hold seniority wise).

Hope this answers most of your questions if you want more info just ask for specifics.

Can you please post whatever you find out about ABX because I'm working and can't make it on Friday. Thanks

More ?'s

So I take it the DC-9 stays relatively local... is that what a new hire can expect? Can we expect to sit sideways at all? Logic would assume that the KIX base would go junior, but would they make you live there, or just start and end trips in the US and transition through there? Or perhaps deadhead us there for 14 days straight?

Lastly, what shot does an RJ CA have of actually getting the job?

No new hires will sit sideways, the two remaining 8's are VERY soon to be gone. Currently there are 16 insufficient bids for 767 FO KIX and 2 DC9 FO ILN. If the company has their way, KIX will be a domicile 12/1, the trips will not see the US all in Japan and they will NOT be 14 days straight, normal week on 5 or 6 off rotation.

A new hire can expect either to be domiciled in KIX or to sit 16 or 17 straight days of reserve in ILN as a 9 FO.

Thats it. On those reserve days you will fly probably 10 or so.

Movement is slow. Do not even plan on holding a week on week off reserve line.

Move local. QOL will be good.

Do not even plan on holding a week on week off reserve line

Not true. 8 week on/off lines went unbid in oct and 2 (the only unbid lines) in nov. Its possible you may get stuck on one every now and again but to say not to plan on it is not accurate.

The 9 schedulers are some of, if not the best, if you need a day to trade they will work with you, just remember what goes around, comes around........

Latest resources

Back