• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

ABX Last DC9 Flights Tonight

Box-Hauler

Total Time
Tonight is the last scheduled DC9 flights for ABX / DHL.

The Germans have done in a few short years what it took over 25 to build, it is a sad day for all..........

ultrarunner

Total Time
Hey, the ...germans 'aint all that bad. I have their car....8 years old....150 grand on the tach...never breaks, won't rot, and is NICE ride....

When Detroit can do that, a crap-load of our problems will be solved!

b707guy

Analog Kid
Total Time
9k-ish
It's been coming for a long time now, but it still smarts to see it happen. Sorry to hear it, Box. An earlier thread mentioned 157 layoffs on Feb. 16 - are those folks still on the payroll at least until then? Hope so.

Best of luck guys and gals.

shooter

Call me the Tumblin' Dice
Total Time
jail?
Hey, the ...germans 'aint all that bad. I have their car....8 years old....150 grand on the tach...never breaks, won't rot, and is NICE ride....

When Detroit can do that, a crap-load of our problems will be solved!

Different group of Germans. I am pretty sure he does not mean the whole German race. No need to drift the thread to engineering, beer or sausage making.

TWA

Total Time
Sorry to hear it guys, this is truly the end of an era in Wilmington.

Oh, by the way, 78 F250 running strong.

LR25

Its just a vintage VW
Total Time
I have a 1955 VW Beetle, all original still going. Blows a little smoke and oil, but thats allright. Not bad for a dispossable car.

I used to swing wrenches at ABX, one of the best places I have ever worked.

Last edited:

flyboyike

Urban Legend/Rural Myth
Total Time
or Claudia Schiffer :)

Sigh....

freightdogfred

Malcontent
Total Time
Mucho
I have a 1955 VW Beetle, all original still going. Blows a little smoke and oil, but thats allright. Not bad for a dispossable car.

I used to swing wrenches at ABX, one of the best places I have ever worked.

Wanna sell that Beetle?

Sad for all concerned in ILN...best o luck

ke4lir

Total Time
Enough
where and at what time will the last DC-9 fly?
This is truly a sad day.

Done.....Last one flew in Friday night. Now they're off to the beer can factory!

Good Luck All

Last edited:

maxpwrset

Total Time
~8000
Having flown those DC-9's in the past, and having way too many friends screwed over by inept DHL management, this is beyond sad. :(

ABXbooger

Total Time
They had really big DHL boxes lined up by the doors. You had to climb in and they would tape it up and ship you home. They did let you take ONLY ONE bottle of water, which promptly froze. Sadly, I have learned that many of the boxes were left sitting on the ramp all weekend due to a mid-level DHL manager deciding that it was far too cold to ship anything, and that the "customer" could indeed just wait for his package when DHL decided to get it there.
Letters to the relatives are being Fedexed as we speak and will be in their hands by Monday at 10:30, far ahead of when the actual frozen corspe will make it...
ABX mgmt has decided that since they have passed on "in transit" that the death benefits due them will have to be negotiated with 1224, and be tied into the new contract signing.
They are letting them keep their uniforms on for burial.
A sad day at ABX, loved the -9, it was the airplane that made me want to become a pilot in the first place, Allegheny Airlines jet service to MCO, dad took me into the cockpit, early 1970's, I just loved all those switches and dials...never did figure out what they all meant anyway.

727Niteflyer

Total Time
12000+
if everyone is so fond of the 9 you can still go look at the northwest/delta ones through the fence at the airport.