ABX information please.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nonstop

Hello, I'd just like a little information on ABX I've been unable to find using the search function. What are their bases, and what are the schedules like? Thanks!

Bases are Wilmington, OH (ILN) and Miami. The Miami domicile is just two DC8s that do Central & South American and Caribbean charters.

Reserve is 14 days off per month. Each reserve day has an eight hour block when you don't have to answer the phone but there's no guarentee that you won't be working during that time if they contact you ahead of time.

Hard lines at 15 days off per month, all bid months are either 30 or 31 days long. No block of work can exceed eight days and days off must be a minimum of three. There must also be a block of six days off and another block of five days off somewhere during the month.

24 in 7 is not normally a problem as most weekend trips will have a 55 to 80 hour layover.

Almost four years ago we furloughed a total of 42. All but about 12 or 14 of them have been recalled. I don't know how many there are left who plan to return.

Just say no.

nonstop said:
Hello, I'd just like a little information on ABX I've been unable to find using the search function. What are their bases, and what are the schedules like? Thanks!
Would'nt waist your time unless your looking for another stepping stone. ABX, Astar, capitol, Kittyhawk, Polar, Atlas = no stability. Stay at your commuter, and try to go to UPS or Fedex if you want a potentially stable job. ABX, Astar, good pay now and quality of life, but wait and see what the germans have in store for next contract neogations (whipsaw). Not a negative person, just realistic.

Gee, sounds pretty negative. The mood at ABX tends to be MUCH more upbeat than what you have displayed; Cautious Optimism is the general feeling. The groups can only be "whipsawed" if we let them. DHL is quite obviously "in it to win it"; only time will tell of course, but having been at the commuters, I would certainly not characterize ABX as a waste of time.

abxaviator said:
Gee, sounds pretty negative. The mood at ABX tends to be MUCH more upbeat than what you have displayed; Cautious Optimism is the general feeling. The groups can only be "whipsawed" if we let them. DHL is quite obviously "in it to win it"; only time will tell of course, but having been at the commuters, I would certainly not characterize ABX as a waste of time.
"The groups can only be "whipsawed" if we let them." This is a fantasy, don't kid yourself, each group will protect themselves to the best of their abilities. While one day there may be a paper binding us, I don't belive it will be worth the paper it is written on. While I would like this as well, there are many that would just assume one or the other would go away.

Don't worry, the optimism will subside as MANY other carriers start to show up on YOUR ramp as they have on OURS. Not being negative towards the group, just the way DHL is doing business. As far your your optimism, (which won't pay the bills) we will see how happy you are if your quarterly filings come to pass. I ask you to take a good look all over the world and show me a Large DHL carrier? While yours is the largest now, it will be interesting to see in 5 yrs. Good luck.

Note to nonstop, the views and opinions expressed by 3 individuals do not represent the general mood or concerns of approx 1300 pilots. Talk to some guys on the top and bottom of the list. Evaluate the facts of the carrier and where their business is derived. Do they have a product? How long is the contract as an ACMI? Questions that need to be asked. You could potentially spend many years on the bottom at an ABX, or Astar, as opposed to going to a Kittyhawk, Capital. Comes down to your definition of quality of life. Money vs time off vs abitility to sked that time off. Both these airlines are completely different from what they were 1 or 2 yrs ago, which in my opinion, were, career airlines.

End of my ranting, and this thread. These are only opinions (entirely possible mine are wrong), look at the facts and make the decisions that are best for your life.

Last edited:
"Don't worry, the optimism will subside as MANY other carriers start to show up on YOUR ramp as they have on OURS. Not being negative towards the group, just the way DHL is doing business."

I don't think you can say YOUR ramp and OUR ramp any more.It all belongs to dhl
now, not abx or astar.

Ever wonder what will happen to the emery contractors? Capitol,Express.net,
Custom, Kittyhawk.

I bet some will end up on the iln ramp when ups takes over the emery lift.
These guys will be very competitive and want a piece of the pie.

I have no doubts they will try, but thanks for the reminder. But as long as WE have a case involed in the courts over scope, I will call it yours and ours if Iwant (although it may be a couple of years before a verdict is decided upon).

Childish A! Sometimes we just have to have fun somewhere. To fly has been a dream since childhood and corporate america takes the fun right out of it. In the end it just does'nt matter.

Wow, guys, can't wait to get you to ILN! You get someone who is interested in some info on someone elses company and you slam them...huh.

ABX is a good place to work, and judging from the Astar guys attitude we will be hiring many more pilots in the future. You may have seen what "DHL" has done in the past, but is that the same company as now? Airborne didn't have hardly any contractors, and we flew much more freight than you guys. What's that say about your company?
Oh, and good luck with your lawsuit, that's gonna make your major customer real happy and willing to work with you in the future.

Happy CAT II landings this winter...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back