• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX 767 Japan Crew Base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are there any rumors of a LAX base instead of NRT?

Other than this thread, all of the rumors that I had heard involved an LAX domicile for the Japan flying.

I tend to agree with the poster above. I think that the Japan domicile was just an idea that the company threw out--possibly as a way to avoid the productivity lost due to the long commercial deadheads to/from Japan--without having given it much thought. I'm not particularly impressed with the skills crew planning/crew scheduling leadership but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Other than this thread, all of the rumors that I had heard involved an LAX domicile for the Japan flying.

I tend to agree with the poster above. I think that the Japan domicile was just an idea that the company threw out--possibly as a way to avoid the productivity lost due to the long commercial deadheads to/from Japan--without having given it much thought. I'm not particularly impressed with the skills crew planning/crew scheduling leadership but that's just my opinion.

While that might be the case they might also be thinking that few of the existing crews would bid it. That would enable them to hire off the street. That in turn would lower costs substantially.

From what I hear the Japanese lack the pilots to run the operation. As a result they are willing to pay. 1224's E-board needs to keep that in mind before they agree willy-nilly to whatever mgmt proposes. Many on the E-board are junior and may not be looking at/giving proper weight to all the facts in their eagerness to obtain growth and upgrades.

The devil is in the details. TDY to Japan might be ok. Depends on how long. A "permanent" domicle, i.e. one which you have to have the seniority to bid out of, along with an opening in either MIA (assuming mgmt doesn't shut MIA down) or ILN would be bad. Cost of living in Japan is high. How many of ABX's pilots would want to move their family there. Consider the commute if you had to do so on your own. Painful.

I, for one, think giving management the opportunity to hire off the street into the left seat would be a mistake.

That is also true of a LAX or CA domicle. Cost of living is very high, and I understand you pay CA income tax if you are domiciled there regardless of where you actually live. :eek: :puke:

Last edited:
The overseas domicile proposal does have that typical slap-dash air about it that we've seen before. Or it could easily be a negotiating tactic as others have suggested.

Which would provide our pilots the best QOL and opportunities and best position the company for future opportunities? A U.S. base or overseas base? The e-board does need to do plenty of research. Hopefully they have already been doing that. The person appointed to head up the Article 14.F negotiation has been with us 15+ years. Hopefully that's senior enough to look out for everyone's best interests.

I'm personally of the opinion that a contract like this would be a good thing for ABX in the long term. The Asian market is where the biggest growth opportunities are at present. UPS, FedEx and the rest are already rushing in. DHL has a big presence in Asia but they're not likely to offer ABX any flying opportunities there.

It's hard to get a handle on what is reasonable to expect (pay/benefits/accomodation/etc) in this sort of operation. We (the pilot group/union) need to know what services ABX is offering ANA before we can make an intelligent response. The various crew contract agencies that are currently advertising for this same venture (ANA/Japan Post) are offering total compensation about 5-15% below our current pay scales. That's for a "commuting" job 20 days per month. There's been plenty of conversation on this and other boards between qualified pilots who are in the pool and waiting for the call for these jobs. I don't think the pay and benefits are much out of line with other overseas flying contracts. ABX must have more to offer to ANA than these other contractors or we wouldn't still be in the running for this deal. So we can probably expect a premium for our services. At the same time, looking at the competition, it seems possible that we could price ourselves out of the market. At the end of the day, it may be the sort of work that most of the ABX pilot group is not interested in.

Any idea(s) of when this flying would begin?
Timeframe I heard was May, which means they're already behind the power curve. I guess we'll know something is up when we see interviews start up again and a proffer for 15 767 crews. Guys in recurrent over the weekend were told this could grow to 30 aircraft.

for you ABX guys check out hawaiianaviation.com. they are currently providing contracrt crews to ANA, pay and QOL are all listed.

Per Diem per our current contract is 86 a day

The ANA article (thanks for the link 80for80) is good. Looks like it was published in mid 2006. No mention of the Japan Post Express agreement so I guess that's come about since the article was written?

The article talks about 10 aircraft by the end of 2009 (4 flying now) for ANA Cargo. I'm assuming that JP Express will require additional aircraft above that?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back