About our jobs. My Buddy just emailed it to me

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IF only it were true.

When this profession starts to hold itself to better standards, I will agree. As it is, remember that within our so-called "professional" ranks, we have more than a few who are essentially teenagers flying around in regional jets, and going from flight school to FO at 600 hours.

The job has been permanently diluted by trainees masquerading as airline pilots.

As a profession, we have done NOTHING to weed out those who are helping bring down pay, QOL, and the public perception of our profession. Before long, the public will finally view us as bus drivers and it will have been our own doing.

410-it, dude.

Last edited:
This would have been a great post 20 or 30 years ago. The sad truth is that a lot, if not most, of the pilots flying today, have not done any of the above.

I could go through item by item, but what's the point?

SSDD said:
This would have been a great post 20 or 30 years ago.
Well, except for the fact that many of the specifics mentioned had not yet occurred 20 or 30 years ago.

I'm sorry if you cannot identify with the piece. I realize that there are many pilots today that have missed the character-building phases. That's unfortunate.

The consequences of failure, however, are in no way diminished by lack of experience. On the contrary, it should serve as evidence that experience is vitally essential for the job. You can't buy that off the shelf.

Not to diminish their importance, but ships' captains, ATC controllers, and mechanical/civil engineers assume awesome responsibility to do their jobs correctly. Ultimately, though, their mistakes do not result in the loss of their own lives. The Captain of the Exxon Valdez lived. ATC controllers do not fear for their own lives. Engineers still kiss their wives goodnight.

Pilots have a personal stake in the outcome.

Sorry but this is a lame post. I bet you use the argument that we're responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars in liability, therefore we're deserving of such entitlement. Get over yourself.

ArcticFlier said:
Tell that to the engineer that designed the bridge inside the Hyatt (?) in Kansas City. You know, the one that collapsed and killed quite a few peeps.

AF :cool:
The design was sound. The builder took a short cut without consulting the engineers. The building inspector missed it and wham people dead. Seems the weakest link was a high school grad/drop out that thought he knew better than the engineer.
Hey that sounds like fuelers, baggage handlers, gate agents and sometimes the dispatcher. Gee I guess the bridge is only as strong as the weakest worker.
So that means Philly is only how good????
RF

I think you guys missed the point of this story!

Stories like this should be published in papers like USA today, Readers Digest etc...

That would stirr a pot!

I started flying 16 years ago and when I started I was on my way to be admired and honored professional. I have done a lots of things that the story before mentioned, not always as an pilot but as an military personel. Unfortunately I have to say there is a lots of truth in it.

The aviator has lost its pride and honor. We are just a bottom worker in this capitalised world and no one support us.

Worst thing is that even the pilots themselves doesn't support each other.

Latest resources

Back