Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He lacks the heart tho...
Pappy wouldn't approve of him!!!

"Pappy" probably wouldn't approve of the stupidity outlined by phr8dog here, or the destruction of the airplane, either. Then again, "pappy" didn't do something nearly so stupid as what's cited here.

I have a buddy doing flights off a 1,200 foot strip with a dropoff either side in a STOL C206. Has anyone ever considered an abort net or arresting cable design for dropoffs? ... We are trying to save both him and the aircraft. Some damage is expected... Reverse JATO bottles are NOT practical!...He insists it's a safe site...Too scary for me...FYI: We lost the aircraft due to a mechanical failure unrelated to the airport.
Lacks the heart, you say? Lacks having destroyed an airplane per this thread, too. Does destroying an airplane constitute heart, or will simply acting stupidly do it for you?

That's all you have to say, having destroyed an aircraft, rambled about jato bottles, catch nets, arresting cables for light airplanes, inexperienced pilots, and attempting to justify it in the name of missionary work?

Perhaps best you simply slink away again.

You've nothing to contribute to your own thread.

Insane might be crashing one's airplane while contemplating using rocket assist to get in and out of airstrips which you think require arresting cables and safety nets...but then that's you, and your organization, isn't it?

Without the stupid quips, can you contribute to your thread, or are you unable? Clearly you're without defense, leaving only raw stupidity on the table. Have you nothing to say but mindless jabs?

I'm curious too, what happened? Who crashed? If it was a genuinely unforeseeable mechanical failure why not let us know what it was? I don't doubt the end intentions of said organization, but think of how many more people could have been helped had this airplane not been lost. Your immature responses to avbugs questions and unwillingness to give more details about the situation contradict your earlier assertions that this was a legitimate safety conscious operation.

When learning the ins and outs of flying in Alsaska, the owner of my outfit told me to never abort a takeoff from the shorter strips once you've started. If you did, you'd end up in the water, trees, over the edge etc...regardless His point being, if you decided to commence the takeoff, you decided, given the current conditions, you could make it. Having a "net or cable" on your strip (excepting aircraft carriers here) implies that you have doubts about "making it" before you ever start the engine. I'm sure some (likely even avbug) would not consider my former employers advice sound, but I think the resoning behind his advice is applicable here.

'bug prefaces his posts with hostility and insults toward other FI members. Why should I bother giving him a respectful answer. He is a flamebaiter.

Since you are asking, the right flap cable snapped where it went around the pulley. This failure was documented in a Canadian A&P document, but there are no references in Service Bulletins or ADs in the US. Read the website article. The Cessna 336 hit flat uphill, flipped, then vaulted over its own tail before stopping. The windshield popped out. All the seatbacks failed aft. And then everybody got out. This was a nonsurvivable crash and everybody walked away. You can't tell me it wasn't a miracle.

The net post was mostly in jest, and came out of an involved and humerous discussion we had one night. I didn't expect to be attacked for it. But as someone on this site once said, " at Flightinfo, we eat our young." That's too bad. Fly safe.

The aircraft in question for the short field with the nets and rocket bottles was a 336? Your stock just went down another couple of notches, and the stupidity meter is nearly pegged. Wow.

So the flap cable failed...which still doesn't explain why the airplane crashed.

Stainless cables, perhaps? Much more subject to failure, harder to inspect, different techniques. Stainless, or carbon?

Latest resources

Back