Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AAI & WN.....what's that gonna look like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only reason since '71 was a few years worth of hedges?
:rolleyes:
Well for Southwest's first 30 years, they were the lowest cost provider. Now Southwest competes with Airtran, Jetblue, Frontier, and Virgin on a large scale. Might take a tweaking of the business model like adding busier airports like LGA, BOS, and MSP to gain enough revenue to return to consistent profitability.

The last 12 months have probably been some of the rockiest for Southwest. When was the last time Southwest has shrunk ASM 5-6% YOY and lost money 3 out of 4 quarters? As a well run airline with good employees, Southwest will find a way to return to consistent profitability.

Well for Southwest's first 30 years, they were the lowest cost provider. Now Southwest competes with Airtran, Jetblue, Frontier, and Virgin on a large scale. Might take a tweaking of the business model like adding busier airports like LGA, BOS, and MSP to gain enough revenue to return to consistent profitability.

The last 12 months have probably been some of the rockiest for Southwest. When was the last time Southwest has shrunk ASM 5-6% YOY and lost money 3 out of 4 quarters? As a well run airline with good employees, Southwest will find a way to return to consistent profitability.

Just pointing out the oversimplification of his statement.

I agree with your post.

I think the original question on this thread was who would represent the pilots of the merged airline.

The answer: A representational election would be held with the options:

A. SWAPA
B. ALPA
C. No Union

I think the original question on this thread was who would represent the pilots of the merged airline.

The answer: A representational election would be held with the options:

A. SWAPA
B. ALPA
C. No Union

I think our vote for ALPA was a vote against the NPA. There are MANY that were not happy with ALPA but less happy with the NPA. But in the long run as long as SWAPA does not sell out a majority of voters there is no way a small group of vocal ALPA supporters at AAI would be able to swing a victory. Hypothetically of course.

It's hard to argue with success . . . and SWAPA has certainly been successful so far.

Here's another cliche- Don't fix what isn't broken. Now, the NPA? That was a soup sandwich. . . . . Am I right here, Donny?

Last edited:
I'm not so sure. I don't think our pilot group would necessarily be interested in 7:59 minute days filled with 20 minute turns. It's efficient as hell, but it's also a pain in the ass when you're at work.

If you mean a 2nd year fo working 15 days a month and making more then an airtran capt. a pain in the a$$ then I agree wtih you

If you mean a 2nd year fo working 15 days a month and making more then an airtran capt. a pain in the a$$ then I agree wtih you

If the payscales below are correct, you would have to be a 6th year FO at SWA to make more than our most junior CA, who would also be at 6th year pay.

A 2001 hire at FL who upgraded in year 2 or three would have made more money at SWA in yr 1 and 2, but in 3-7 would have made more at FL, until your most recent pay raises.

Would the pilot have been happier at SWA? Quite possibly.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/major-national-lcc/southwest.html

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back