AAI traffic surges 55%

lowecur

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 14, 2003
Posts
2,317
Total Time
na

General Lee

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Posts
20,442
Total Time
A lot
lowecur said:
Nice job! Now tell Joe and Bob to keep the pay the same. No wait, well have to see how the quarter went from a P&L side.

I think the DL effect is helping. Have to see how DL does.:beer:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051003/airtran_september_traffic.html?.v=1
When airlines get new airplanes, their traffic tends to jump. You knew that, right? When you add aircraft to your fleet and do not park any, the airline traffic usually JUMPS from one quarter compared to the same quarter last year. Didn't they teach you that at Geico?


Bye Bye--General Lee
 

MedFlyer

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 7, 2003
Posts
455
Total Time
1200
General Lee said:
When airlines get new airplanes, their traffic tends to jump. You knew that, right? When you add aircraft to your fleet and do not park any, the airline traffic usually JUMPS from one quarter compared to the same quarter last year.

Bye Bye--General Lee
True, but Airtran's traffic is growing FASTER than they are adding capacity. I suspect Airtran benefited from DL's more aggressive off-season capacity pulldown which began in September.
 

General Lee

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Posts
20,442
Total Time
A lot
MedFlyer said:
True, but Airtran's traffic is growing FASTER than they are adding capacity. I suspect Airtran benefited from DL's more aggressive off-season capacity pulldown which began in September.
And did the Boeing Strike help them out? That same pull down will come back in October, and really start going in Novemeber when people start going down to FLA for the Winter. What I suggested was that when an airline gets new airplanes, their traffic will always jump compared to the same quarter the year before. That is basic logic.

Bye Bye--General Lee
 

MedFlyer

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 7, 2003
Posts
455
Total Time
1200
General Lee said:
And did the Boeing Strike help them out? That same pull down will come back in October, and really start going in Novemeber when people start going down to FLA for the Winter. What I suggested was that when an airline gets new airplanes, their traffic will always jump compared to the same quarter the year before. That is basic logic.

Bye Bye--General Lee
In case you missed the memo, DL has announced plans to REDUCE capacity to Florida this winter by 22%.

Of course traffic will increase when you add planes, however what is impressive about Airtran's numbers is that traffic grew so much faster than capacity. Airtran's capacity was up 30%, but traffic grew 55%.
 

Spectre

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 21, 2001
Posts
189
Total Time
8000+
Gee, 55% increase in traffic is great. However, I don't think AAI will make a profit this year. 1st quarter 2005 ($8,029,000), 2nd $11,359,000 with the 3rd and 4th quarters showing weaker earnings. Their EPS for 2005 is (.10).

Just like JBLU, both companies show great growth, but their earnings suck this year. If you look at SWA, their growth is more like 15% and thier numbers are much better...just food for thought.
 

General Lee

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Posts
20,442
Total Time
A lot
MedFlyer said:
In case you missed the memo, DL has announced plans to REDUCE capacity to Florida this winter by 22%.

Of course traffic will increase when you add planes, however what is impressive about Airtran's numbers is that traffic grew so much faster than capacity. Airtran's capacity was up 30%, but traffic grew 55%.
Most of that reduction is RJ flying. What I was saying is that our flying to FLA will increase compared to the Sep schedule.


Bye Bye--General Lee
 

lowecur

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 14, 2003
Posts
2,317
Total Time
na
General Lee said:
When airlines get new airplanes, their traffic tends to jump. You knew that, right? When you add aircraft to your fleet and do not park any, the airline traffic usually JUMPS from one quarter compared to the same quarter last year. Didn't they teach you that at Geico? Of course you lummox.:smash:


Bye Bye--General Lee
Now check out the LF's and tell me that they didn't have a great month and quarter with that kind of growth.:puke:
 
Last edited:

XRMEFLYER

Semi-Turgid Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2003
Posts
453
Total Time
10K+
General Lee said:
And did the Boeing Strike help them out? That same pull down will come back in October, and really start going in Novemeber when people start going down to FLA for the Winter. What I suggested was that when an airline gets new airplanes, their traffic will always jump compared to the same quarter the year before. That is basic logic.

Bye Bye--General Lee
They did not add anywhere near that much capacity private. It was a 30% increase in capacity and 55% increase in RPMs.
 

75M

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Posts
336
Total Time
9000+
Just like JBLU, both companies show great growth, but their earnings suck this year. If you look at SWA, their growth is more like 15% and thier numbers are much better...just food for thought.
Food for thought...WN's 15% growth in capacity quite possibly dwarfs FL's 30% growth on an ASM basis.

But just to make you happy...as FL grows, and we continue to add ~18 737s/year, the percentage growth will decrease each year. One of these years, it will be 15%.
 

General Lee

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Posts
20,442
Total Time
A lot
XRMEFLYER said:
They did not add anywhere near that much capacity private. It was a 30% increase in capacity and 55% increase in RPMs.
Well Sarge, I have no clue what you are talking about. My BASIC point was that adding aircraft from one year to the next will always increase the next year's numbers. Got it?

Bye Bye--General Lee
 

FlyBoeingJets

YES, that's NICE
Joined
Mar 20, 2003
Posts
1,802
Total Time
>5000
Spectre said:
Gee, 55% increase in traffic is great. However, I don't think AAI will make a profit this year. 1st quarter 2005 ($8,029,000), 2nd $11,359,000 with the 3rd and 4th quarters showing weaker earnings. Their EPS for 2005 is (.10).

Just like JBLU, both companies show great growth, but their earnings suck this year. If you look at SWA, their growth is more like 15% and thier numbers are much better...just food for thought.

I just looked at analyst estimates, ouch! Great quarter for passenger loads but I guess there won't be a profit this year.


Reminds me of the change bank skit on SNL.

"10 dimes for a dollar. 100 nickels for a five spot. 1000 pennies for a ten."

"How do you make money then?"

"simple...Volume."
 

General Lee

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Posts
20,442
Total Time
A lot
XRMEFLYER said:
They did not add private. It was RPMs.
Are you drunk again? What does that mean?

Bye Bye--General Lee
 
Top