Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FurloughedAgain

Cabin Heating & Air Tech.
As most of you know, the Embraer division of US Airways (known in most circles as MidAtlantic) was intended to be a "soft-landing" for US Airways furloughees.

Every EMB170/190/195 that the carrier ultimately received was to be flown at MDA and every position at that carrier was to be filled first by furloughed US Airways pilots, and then once that list was exhausted, by flowthrough from the wholly-owned feeders (Allegheny, Piedmont, and PSA).

Well, the US Airways MEC has done it again. They've sat down at the dinner table, put the napkin in their lap, took out the ginsu knives and have decided to slap a few furloughees on the bar-b-q and once again eat their young.

In a special MEC meeting in Washington this week they tentatively agreed to CHANGE the soft-landing, and allow the Embraer family of 70-100 seat aircraft (essentially replacements for the F28, F100, DC9, and 737-200) to be flown by affiliate carriers.

Furthermore they ALSO made the decision that those affiliates who operate the E-Jets would not be held to the 100% furloughee requirement, but rather could use the 50/50 jets-for-jobs formula.

Now remember, these are MAINLINE aircraft that were slated to be flown at a division of MAINLINE but at American Eagle wages/working conditions.

Now MAINLINE aircraft are being transferred to the likes of Mesa and Chautauqua.

So you're probably wondering what the hard-working USAir MEC received in EXCHANGE for the jobs they just gave away?

1. They have asked that the company participate in an off-line jumpseat plan.

2. And they have asked for a commuter clause.

(subject to membership ratification apparently)

So they're trading hundreds of jobs that were slated for furloughed pilots in exchange for provisions to make it easier to get to work. Amazing isn't it?

It just goes to show you what the wolves will do in the henhouse when the "Unified Front" or another large group of junior lobbyists aren't there to keep an eye on them.

I honestly don't know how they sleep at night.

gave up a loooong time ago

For those of you banking on the possibility of ever WEARING the US uniform again, I say PUT YOU'R MONEY ELSEWERE!! US Air has become a 10 person life-boat with 4000 souls on board.. It is down to SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST... If you think that being on furlough status gives you any leverage at US MEC negotiations.. WAKE-UP and face reality....Being furloughed from US Airways is like having frequent flyer miles on Eastern, Pan Am, or Braniff. Its a nice collector's item, but it wont FLY YOU ANYWERE!!!!:confused:

Yeah, I started reading through the negotiations summary and it listed the "gains" first. I just kept asking...WTF does this have to do with scope? It's all gain in the eyes of the mainline U pilot, because they will (theoretically) not be affected by giving away the J4J jets and jobs. It really is sickening, yet again.

Take it from a two time furloughee from USAirways, the best thing you can do is make up your mind that you are never going back. Start over again from scratch if you have to, but just remember that you are never going back. Put it behind you and get on with your life. Those pathetic pilots have been playing the same game for more than 15 years now. The names might change but in the end they are all the same. In 1991 it was the 767 pilots flying 95 hours per month while there were over 300 pilots on furlough. They had to do it to help the company you know ;)

Their day of reckoning is fast approaching. They will get what they deserve.

I'm so happy to be out of there.

Typhoonpilot

ol' Chip's really in rare form over on USAviation.com

He'd vote to outsource his mother if it would keep him in the left seat.

Just wait - before long they'll agree to put 90-seaters on Express and probably pay $65/hr. for captains. I figure within a couple years Mesa will take over our 737's. Even if Airways survives I think you're gone if your number is over 2500 or so.

Latest resources

Back