Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Saabslime

Dysfunctional family
I realize there's no hiring in the near future but was wondering if I can still update an app. that I put in a while back? (To the tune of about $120.) I had heard that since the recruitment dept. was shut down, there was no way to update. Thanks for any info......

The recruitment dept. is indeed shut down, and therefore there is no one employed there to accept/process/file any updates.

Unfortunately, because of all the furloughees out there will need to be recalled and trained before the new hire process can begin again, there is no estimate on when this department will reopen for business. I would not look for anything to change in this regard until the recall of furloughed pilots has begun. Then you may hear of an estimated time for the process to resume.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks for the info. Just wanted to show some sort of track record of continued interest in working there in the future.

Near Future??

I realize there's no hiring in the near future

Unfortuately that's wishful thinking. With rumors of another 1500 to be furloughed, it's going to be a lot longer than the "near future."

I commend your persistence on wanting to update your application, but I think asking a question like that, when pilots are on furlough, is kind of insensitive and nearsighted. Just write-off the $120, like the rest of us have, and know you'll have to reapply in about 5 years.

Last edited:
I spoke with a friend flying at AA this afternoon. He also mentioned the 1500 furlough rumor, he said that AA were goig to park the Airbus and Fokker fleet.

I think asking a question like that, when pilots are on furlough, is kind of insensitive and nearsighted.

I realize pilots are on furlough and that there will probably be more soon. I wish nothing but a speedy return to the saddle for them. But I plan on doing everything in my power to be one of the first to be interviewed when things get rolling again. And things WILL get better, but when is anyones guess. IMHO asking if there's a way to keep an app. updated is not being insensitive and certainly not nearsighted. Just trying to keep competitive with those of us who don't have a number at the bigs yet. If you want to have a pesimist's attitude go right ahead but I chose to direct my energy elswhere. And I could give a rats a$$ about the money. That wasn't the reason behind the question.

:) :cool:

Keep the faith

Saabslime,

I'm sure you've seen in other posts or heard in the news about the further furloughs at AA (550 more pilots).

With the 695 already on furlough this will put us at 1245 furloughed, with about 100 more on the street without a seniority number but recall rights (people in the schoolhouse on 9/11).

This means an unfortunately long time until anyone will be called for an interview. I hate to guess, but here it goes: The 550 furloughs and the reductions from the retirement of the F-100 will probably mean no recalls from furlough until 2005 at the earliest. Warning! Public math to follow! OK, here I go:

927 people on the F-100 now
882 people to retire by the end of 2006 (F-100 gone mid-2005)
927-882=45 pilots. Count this as the number unable to fly for whatever reason at a carrier this big over 3 years (Illness, accident, stupidness, etc)
So basically neutral on the AA side with the F-100 retirement.
Unless AA takes delivery of several new aircraft during this time, I see no need to recall the 550 until summer 2005 at the earliest, and this is with a static airline (ie no further contraction).
Assuming a static airline, recalls of the 550 begin in 2005, with recalls going at the pace of retirements. Luckily retirements pick up in 2005, but it would still take until 2009 to get all the furloughees back on the property.

This is a worst case scenario, assuming that the airline will never grow again. Hopefully things will turn around sometime and we can get some new growth and hubs (maybe into Charlotte and Philly!)

Anyway, I encourage you to continue asking questions about hiring and to continue trying to jockey yourself into the front of the line when hiring does start. Anyone who got hired at the front of a hiring wave will tell you how much of a difference it makes (for me, it means still having a job - for guys hired in 1985, it meant being a captain in 4 or 5 years).

Anyone who is furloughed from a major and tells you to not ask about hiring has a short-term outlook. They should be honest and forthright about the prospects at their airline, but they should also realize that eventually their company WILL start hiring again, and everyone they hire will be junior to them. Why not have the most qualified and motivated people lined up at the door? I personally want someone who is willing to bang on the door for 10 years in order to get in. He'll be more likely to enjoy the job once he gets here, and thus more fun to fly with. As I always say with this job:

If you're not having fun you're doing something wrong!

In closing Saabslime, you can send your update to the HR department but it will probably get "circular-filed". I honestly do not think HR is tracking updates for anyone. What I would do is continue to send updates, but KEEP A COPY yourself, then when we do start hiring you can show up with copies of 12 updates to your file. It might not be worth anything, but then again it might. If you send everything certified mail and keep the receipts, bonus for you.

Good luck, fly safe, and have fun!

Latest resources

Back