• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA recall rumors/gossip

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's no "massive growth" to be had. The domestic market is mature, meaning no room for growth. International, sure, but nothing massive. Incremental growth is more likely. And that ain't much.

Not according to Gary Kelly on 12/15/10 (of course, he probably doesn't know what he's talking about :rolleyes:
"As I listen to the industry talk, they're very pessimistic, and certainly very pessimistic about the opportunities domestically," Kelly said. "We have the exact opposite view."

I didn't see anyone invite frac guys in here--especially frac guys from states that have NO professional sports teams. :p

Boiler--I should have said that differently about Emirates. I was looking at the DEC and rapid advancement positions. I didn't qualify for the DEC because of my Gulfstream PIC time but I would have qualified for the quick upgrade program.

They have hired several FO's with only CRJ/ERJ/Light Corporate time.

The comment about GV guys being "a risk" was only in the sense that for DEC's you really have to hit the ground running. (Although flying a GV around the world would seem to be a whole lot better prep for EK command than flying a 737 around the 48.)

AA73--I was only following your lead by not wearing my hat. ;)

HalinTx--Funny, I thought the L10 was easy and the 767 hard. Go figure. :D

On topic: The new VP Flight said that, although only 250 recalls have been announced, expect there to be no end and to anticipate hiring once they cycle through the list.

I have heard the rumor (from people in the company but outside the Flight Ops dept.) about "80's type growth". We'll see.

So, XTW, when you coming back? ;)

TC

On topic: The new VP Flight said that, although only 250 recalls have been announced, expect there to be no end and to anticipate hiring once they cycle through the list.

Any idea how far down said list they are?

The AE flow-ups that were forced on AA by the arbitrators decision generally had a tough time in training, despite helpful, fair and honest instruction. A lot of those guys have very narrow experience (50 seat RJs at best) and no big airplane experience and were having trouble with even the MD-80 and 737 school (none have gone thru the 757/767 program which is much more difficult). Many had lots of additional training required. Failure rate is about 10% from what I hear, at least so far. That seems to be much higher than traditional off-the-street hiring, but off-the-streeters usually have more breadth of experience in a wider range of larger and more complex aircraft than commuter pilots.

But keep in mind that the sample size so far is fairly small, so statistically it's not definitive.

Oh I see. So AA has always filled their classes with military pilots exclusively? They don't hire regional pilots?

True, I was about 3 numbers to be recalled, but now 183 because of the Throw ups which have a very high fail rate according to a AA check pilot.

Kind of like the throw backs had? Is that what you're saying?
That whole AA/Eagle debacle is a riot! Never has such a dysfunctional family existed, nor will it ever again! What's the matter with all you clowns over there from both sides? Explain yourselves? Inquiring minds want to know?

Last edited:
Kind of like the throw backs had? Is that what you're saying?
That whole AA/Eagle debacle is a riot! Never has such a dysfunctional family existed, nor will it ever again! What's the matter with all you clowns over there from both sides? Explain yourselves? Inquiring minds want to know?

AA is the big brother and AE is the little brother. Constant quarreling and bickering that comes with sibling rivalry.

How senior are SFO and LAX?

How senior are SFO and LAX?

SFO has been steadily downsizing (like BOS and, now, ORD). LAX is kind of in the middle. LGA and MIA are the junior bases with DFW (and more recently, ORD) being senior. STL/S80 is pretty junior but may fill up with TWA recallees.

Who knows what will happen in the next couple of years, though.

TC

AA is the big brother and AE is the little brother. Constant quarreling and bickering that comes with sibling rivalry.

Yes! But don't siblings finally grow up and become mature and intelligent adults and get along for the most part? This has been going on for what? 20 years? I sure wish they would work together over there for the betterment of everyone in the profession. Eagle does what, like 97% of AA's rj flying? They are in the perfect position to create a cutting edge agreement between the pilot groups where scope would no longer be an issue and all flying could be done in house! And it won't happen because why? A few military pilots who seem to think that they should be entitled to a major airline seat right off the bat?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back