Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dispatchguy

Dad is my favorite title
American Airlines is freezing pay for about 19,000 noncontract employees during a steep drop in demand for travel, according to a report in the Fort Worth Star Telegram.

The Fort Worth-based airline told employees in a letter Monday that they will not receive a 1.5% annual pay raise that many had expected. AA has been giving the raises since 2003 under a five-year pay plan, which ended last year.

“The current economic recession has left organizations across the country facing unprecedented decisions about business, workforce, spending and overall operations,” said Jeff Brundage, s.v.p-Human Resources for AA in a letter to employees. “American is no different.”

He noted that revenues are declining as bookings and cargo services drop. AA also is facing increased costs for pensions and medical benefits.

The carrier is in contract negotiations with all three of its unions, which represent pilots, flight attendants and most ground workers. All of American’s employees accepted steep pay cuts in 2003, when the carrier was on the brink of a bankruptcy filing.

I am sure that Arpey and his cronies will still get theirs...

Upper management ba$tards rididng the "recession wave". Oh the sky is falling, but I will take my bonus. I hope you choke on your Kobe beef, you motha ******!

We're already on the warpath but AA owns the judges in DFW so any action outside of the RLA will get slapped down in a heartbeat.

Right now, the APA Board is arguing whether to do a CHAOS-type action or full-boat, STMFD strike when released by the NMB (who also appears to be "owned" by AMR). We are in mediated talks but the mediator is putting ZERO pressure on AA to talk about anything other than the shape of the table.

Holding our breath, waiting for our "labor President" to act on our behalf... :rolleyes:

TC

We're already on the warpath but AA owns the judges in DFW so any action outside of the RLA will get slapped down in a heartbeat.

Right now, the APA Board is arguing whether to do a CHAOS-type action or full-boat, STMFD strike when released by the NMB (who also appears to be "owned" by AMR). We are in mediated talks but the mediator is putting ZERO pressure on AA to talk about anything other than the shape of the table.

Holding our breath, waiting for our "labor President" to act on our behalf... :rolleyes:

TC

If it comes before a judge, APA ought to demand a change of venue right off the bat.

Seems like a grassroots fly safe campaign might be in order. I think it would work if organized by individual pilots and not the APA.

Also the APA, ALPA, etc ought to be going full speed ahead to get a bill passed in congress to amend the RLA. 6 months direct neg, then 6 months of mediation and still no luck than 30 days cool off. Then if still nothing, the union can take self help automatically.

I know with some effort that this can get through and become law. If need be, attach it to unrelated legislation.

While the dems might not be friendly to labor either, they certainly won't go against it! Besides Obama has a record of helping unions by supporting the Employee Free Choice Act.

Last edited:

TC

You're going to turn blue. Do you guys actually think you have a whimper of a chance of getting released? The whole RLA is in place to keep airlines (well, railroads, whatever) from shutting down due to labor snits.

Your board may talk about CHAOS, but it's just that, talk. The mediator is going to keep delaying you guys until you give up. There's no time limit, and it's pretty hard to get in political trouble if you can honestly say, "I'm helping discussions along".

Also, and I'm sorry if this pisses you off, but the APA demands are so far-fetched that even if I was a mediator I wouldn't release the APA until they came down to earth--and I'm sympathetic to the APA and have no love for AMR's greedy managment.

"That's management's job to figure out a way to pay for it", is unreasonable, American Airlines is barely treading water.

Last edited:
radar--"far-fetched" in what respect? Management has had no qualms about taking hundreds of millions of dollars from the company at a time when AA was losing money and struggling to pay off massive debt.

Now, they are crying poor.

The pay rates APA is seeking are right around what SWA just got--and they aren't exactly jumping for joy about their contract.

If Management was so concerned about "hurting the company" with higher pay, they should have demonstrated that back when they took their cash out.

We are our own worst enemy.

TC

Latest resources

Back