• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA off runway at Providence?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds like a non-event. Just the hazards of winter operations Any one of us could,should or might have this happen to us... DENTIFICATION
Regis#: 564AA Make/Model: MD80 Description: MD-81/82/83/87/88
Date: 12/20/2004 Time: 1602

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
AMERICAN AIRLINES, N564AA, A BOEING MD83 AIRCRAFT, WHILE TAXIING TO THE RUN
UP AREA, SLID OFF THE RAMP ONTO THE GRASS, NO INJURIES REPORTED, DAMAGE
UNKNOWN, PROVIDENCE, RI

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: Y
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: Y
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: NOT REPORTED

OTHER DATA
Activity: Business Phase: Taxi Operation: Air Carrier

Departed: UNK Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: UNK Flt Plan: UNK Wx Briefing: U
Last Radio Cont: UNK
Last Clearance: UNK

Dont believe what you read in the paper. I was there and it was a nasty day in pvd. There was a good snow storm with gusty winds and alot of ice "black ice" all over the taxiways. As a mater of fact thank god american got on the radio immediatelly after it happened and informed everybody because it could of happed to us. When we turned the corner on the taxiway to take runway 34 the braking action was almost nil. Thank you American for the quick pirep and we are glad all of you are allright. Be carefull all of you this winter season and fly safe...

Anyone who hasn't encountered (and been VERY scared by) nasty glaze ice, needn't pipe up. Just a couple of knots onto the ice, with a bit of slope and some wind, and the jet will slide sideways, weathervane, and be impossible to control.

This is an aviation non-event that is inevitable and unavoidable when a company operates a very large number of flights in winter weather in the Northeast and Midwest.

Now if they had cobbed the power and attempted to sneak back on the taxiway, then I'd be the first to condemn them for dumb-a$$es. Plenty of photos out there of 140,000 lb and up jets buried to their axles in soil after trying to get back onto the pavement rather than call for help.

jumpjet said:
This is a common problem for the "Ace" pilots at AA.
DICKHEAD

There, I said it. nothing worse than a self interested pot-stirrer that thinks their own stuff doesn't stink. Oh, and moderators? I'm not being rude or vulgar, just calling a spade a spade.

Glad nobody got hurt in Rhode Island.

Last edited:
Remember TowerAir at JFK? Note how "slow" they were going when they apparently lost directional control. Slippery airport surfaces is nothing to take lightly. I remember just earlier this year in SWF we were taxing to the gate and trying to turn onto a twy, we were in a diesel 9 and going very slow when it appeared we were "passing" the twy to the the terminal and the Captain said "Hey man, I am turning the tiller and nothing is happening" he was able to regain control but it was a very scary experience because we literally felt like we were just along for the ride for a few seconds. I believe that twy sloped down. Anyway it could happen to anyone.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001207X04988&key=1

Yep, there's a trend... it's a big winter storm moving through the country with a lot of snow and ice covered taxiways... so y'all be careful out there. You could be next. ;)

"A third runway used for regional jets was still operational."

Yeah, we all know how little runway those CRJs need.

Latest resources

Back