• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AAflyer

Blowing the Top Off of Paris - Massive Order for American Airlines

UNCONFIRMED BY OFFICIAL SOURCES

Reliable sources inside the aviation industry have told Flightblogger that American Airlines intends to place a "massive" narrow and wide-body order at the Paris Air Show that includes:

- Boeing 787s - 100-125 firm, plus another 100 options
- Additional Boeing 777s - firm number unknown
- Boeing 737s - 100 firm, options unknown

This reasoning behind this order makes sense for the long term growth and modernization for American Airlines. The Boeing 787 fills an important place in the American fleet as older model Airbus A300s and Boeing 767s are retired. American currently operates a fleet of 34 A300s that range from 19 to 14 years old, as well as 73 767s. American has already announced that they will be retiring their non-ER 767-200s which range from 22 to 25 years old. The fleet of 299 McDonnell Douglas MD-82/83 are set to be retired beginning in 2009. The oldest is 24 years old. These aircraft have already been slated for replacement by Boeing 737-800s.

The deal, following completed retirement of the McDonnell Douglas and Airbus fleets, will result in American Airlines becoming an all Boeing fleet, as well as consolidating eight aircraft types to just six. American currently operates the worlds largest fleet of aircraft.

As part of the deal, Boeing will award American Airlines the maintenance contract as part of the Goldcare program. The Boeing Goldcare program is intended to maintain aircraft value and minimize unexpected costs throughout the life-cycle of the 787. American Airlines just completed roughly $100 million worth of upgrades to its Tulsa maintenance facility.

If confirmed, this would be the largest single order for the Boeing 787 program. The details of this order are unconfirmed by official sources, but have been corroborated by sources within the aviation industry. The deal is expected to be officially announced at the Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Field from June 18-24.

Posted by Jonathan at

You're too late, AA (the poster, not the company--well, ok, I guess it fits for both... ;) ).

There's another thread that has already degenerated into a Delta lovefest with the usual suspects. TC

Darn,

That is what I get for sitting in the school house all day.... I love DFW in the summer.

AA:0

The rumor has to be reliable, it's been posted on three different message boards! :D TC

P.S.--I think it's true, I just don't have a guess at the final numbers. Have a beer or six, AA, you need it after being in class all day! :)

Latest resources

Back