Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RampTower

Ol 366PX, the ditch b!tch
About a year and a half ago, I jumpsat with AA. I found it odd that I never had to talk with the captain nor get a signature (although at that time we didn't have CASS and I did say hi just to be nice).

Is it still the same policy today? No signature unless I'm riding upfront. I just checked in at the front counter, gate agent took some info from my badge and printed me a boarding pass. thanks

If you are a jumpseat rider (regardless of what the agent tells you, where you sit, or what has to be signed or not signed by the captain), you MUST check with the captain and get permission to ride along. Too many agents (at my company included) give the jumpseater a seat assignment and tell them they are all set. WRONG.

It's fine for the agent to give you a seat assignment, but you are still a JUMPSEATER who must ask the captain for a ride. Not poke their head in the cockpit and say, "Hi, I'm your jumpseater today." But, rather, "Hi, I'm XXXX. Could I please catch a ride with you today?"

Now, if you are on a pass which you paid for, then you are not a jumpseater, and you don't have to say a word to the captain. But, if you walk to the gate with nothing but your company ID, your license and your medical, then you are a jumpseater and you must follow proper jumpseat protocol.

Please, someone at AA correct me if I'm wrong. But, I have jumpseated at AA quite a bit, and this is what I always do (regardless of what the agent tells me). It's what I do anytime I jumpseat, regardless of the company. And, it's what I expect from jumpseaters on my aircraft.

Don't want to be a hard @ss. Just trying to keep things the way they are supposed to be.

Latest resources

Back