AA jumpseat at the gate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Palomino

i use American for the DFW-IAH commute a fair amount. gate agents always tell me to go outside security and do the CASS bit at the ticket counter.

it seems like they hate doing CASS at the gate. while i'm very grateful for the free ride to work, it seems a bit ridiculous to go outside security to get the CASS pass and do the TSA dance again.

if that's the way it is i will add yet another hour to my commute. again...i appreciate the ride and am always treated well by AA crews. i know we have CASS issues at CAL with the 'green screens' and think that is ridiculous also.

i guess it's a whole new and overly complicated commuter world.

any insight is helpful.

thanks

"it seems like they hate doing CASS at the gate"

Thats what it is, plus, they hate doing anything for a pilot. It could also be that the particular one's you have encountered have no idea how to access the CASS section and check you out. I ran in to this in ORD and it was clear the young lady did not know how to list a jumpseater and consequently she got very angry with me when I asked if she needed help. Needless to say I excused myself and went straight to United and breezed right on.
Anyway, you should not have to go back out to the ticket counter to do a jumpseat. I would imagine that they just might send you right back to the gate anyway since taking care of jumpseaters is really not their realm, nor should it be in my opinion. I'm sure one of the AA types on the property will chime in soon to guide you.

AAgents must have to spend an hour in a cage getting stuck with cattle prods before heading out to the counter or gate. It almost seems like the nicer you are, the meaner they are. TC

The AA gate agents I ran into were never too nice if you were not listed. Call the AA listing number and take care of it before the gate. Worked for me.

I called the 1-800 # to list a while back, and the res agent told me I shouldn't call anymore, and then proceeded to read me a memo dated from November of '06 that basically said, don't bug our Res agents anymore.

IF a gate agent has any idea of how the system really works, they can complete the process in under 60 seconds.

When they check the CASS response, there is a short code they type in that will automatically list you for the flight you are trying to get on. If the agent tries to list you the long way 1st before going through the CASS response, then they don't know what they are doing.

AA is about my only option to commute (Thanks for all the rides guys/gals). Since they changed the process back in November, I've only found 2 or 3 agents who know how to work the system properly. Everyone else fights the system and gets angry with the jumpseaters.

AAgents must have to spend an hour in a cage getting stuck with cattle prods before heading out to the counter or gate. It almost seems like the nicer you are, the meaner they are. TC

Before 9/11 and before I got on with AA I commuted between DFW and LGA/JFK with AA for 7 years.
Found the agents in LGA to especially helpful and they went out of their way to help me get a seat.

Although every airline has a cranky agent, I never felt AA had more than the average.

Like most airlines, AA has "challenges" when it comes to competence in it's supervisory and management cadre. This is mostly likely a case where the gate agents are not receiving adequate training and supervision. Also, as with most companies, when you point out deficiencies and problems to management, you're either ignored or told to shut-up-and-color.

AA gate agents are generally the worst in the industry. They treat online no better. (my wife was frequently ignored or lied to even when I worked there).

"it seems like they hate doing CASS at the gate"

... since taking care of jumpseaters is really not their realm, nor should it be in my opinion...

so who is going to take care of the JS-er than?
A - My ass?
B - The dragon?
C - Derek Cheetah?
D - None of the above = Southwest or JBlue.

With AA the gate agents are luck of the draw. I have commuted on AA for about 10 yrs and I didn't really have many problems until the CASS days. Some agents feel its too much trouble for the to enter you in CASS and verify your stuff, while other agents have been more than helpful. Esp now that I have a memo from my j/s cord. that says to proceed to the gate for j/s verifcation and dont list via telephone.

Latest resources

Back