AA: How to Address/Phone change?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dirkdigler

I am one of the guys who went all the way through the employment process and was waiting on a class date just before September 11th. Does anyone know how we are supposed to go about notifying them of address/phone number change?

Are they even keeping the paperwork on us lost soles? I never heard what our disposition is, have you? The number I got to call is not answering.

I'm in the same boat. It'd be nice to know if/how we'll be considered when they start hiring again. I don't have another $100 to apply again.

hiring

The recruiting office has been closed. All personnel in that department have been reassigned. AA will not man it again until there is an imminent need. Their last projection was that it would be at least 2 years before they looked at opening the office again.

Re: hiring

Clownpilot said:
The recruiting office has been closed. All personnel in that department have been reassigned. AA will not man it again until there is an imminent need. Their last projection was that it would be at least 2 years before they looked at opening the office again.

Its gonna be tough to go back to the pre-sept 11th schedule later this year as announced in the New York Times two days ago, if they don't re-open that office sooner than two years, I would think. They are still loosing some 300 guys just due to age 60, let alone early retirements and any kind of expansion, should the economy grow as predicted by most economists.

I am a bit more optomistic, I say with in a year American will be holding new hire classes.

Not to be a smart-a#@##, but two years in this industry is like an eternity! I think the move to reach pre-Sept capacity, however is to flush out the weaker carriers, i.e. bleed them out of cash. AMR just raised a ton of money and they know that other carriers such as CAL and U can't expand, much less gain access to cash (they are already so highly leveraged). I am at one of the weaker carriers (on furlough) and I think there will be some major consolidation in the future. Just my two cents, and I hope things get better before they get worse. I agree with the opinion that things may get back to normal (whatever that is) by this time next year (barring another terrorist act) and keep hearing that NWA may be recalling this summer. I have several buddies on furlough over there and they keep me posted, probably with the same rumors we have heard, but hey, at least they aren't rumors of more furloughs! All the best

-P Springs

p.s. like the woman in Jaws who said, "24 hours is like three weeks" so goes 2 years in the airlines is like 20 years in the real world!

American Airlines, Other Urban Legends

I was in the same boat with respect to class at AA. Based on what I have heard from them (absolutely zero) since Sept 13th, 2001, I would have to believe they are not even considering bringing new pilots on board in the next year, probably more like two years. Why so pessimistic (not really my nature)? Put yourself in their shoes. If you had a list of people who you had interviewed, medically screened, background checked and scheduled for class, and you had heard the *slightest* rumor that the company would need pilots in the near future, wouldn't you have the foresight to at least crank out a form letter to the people on that list, saying essentially "you're still in the running, but don't call us, we'll call you"? I would. The letter could be as non-committal as is humanly possible, but I would still want to throw something at the people on the list, just for goodwill sake. Since I've not seen the slightest gesture of that nature, I must believe the pilot accession plan is locked away as tightly as the cache of moon rocks at the Smithsonian.

Sorry for the bummer post; send me a note and we'll talk about something happy, like my tulips breaking through the snow here in IL.

Cheers!
HP:)

I am a bit more optomistic, I say with in a year American will be holding new hire classes.

Not to be a pest and burst the optomism bubble. I'm not sure this is realistically possible. AA still has about 700 (TWA & AA) guys on furlough. The training department has said they can only do appr. 50/month. If AA continued to recall all 700, it will take 14 months just to train the recalls. Word has it that there will be no further recalls in 2002. Remember, the 727's are or will be gone in the next month, that leaves a lot of guys and gals to be obsorbed into the system. IMO, the amount of retirements is not enough to offset the fleet retirement. As for expansion, AA would have to accept 50 new delieveries before any true expansion (pre-Sept) could be justified. I don't think this doesn't mean vacancies won't appear and recalls won't happen before we take delieveries, it's just food for thought and hopefully I am wrong. These are just my thoughts and am hoping for recall in '03.

I'll try to find an answer for those of you who had or are awaiting class dates after the furlough as to what your status is.

Last edited:
Why only 50/month?

The logical question is why only 50/month? I was in the last class at AA that started on 20 Aug. 36 out of 51 of us went to the 727 as FEs. There are no more 72s hence all that training capacity is lost. Initial training will now be in the F100, S80, and occasionally the 757 (LaGuardia). There are only so many sims of those types, thus 50/month is the estimated max. I will be surprised if any furloughees are back this year. 450 727 crewmembers being retrained in other types will probably fill any needs for the rest of the year. IMO it will take most, if not all, of next year to get all the furloughees back. There will be one less to call back. I start at Southwest on March 27th. I don't mean to be pessimistic, just realistic. Lets hope I'm full of it and everyone is called back soon. Nothing would make happier. Good luck to everybody.

Cheers,

Magic,

Congrats on the job! So I take it your not going to accept the recall back to AA. If not, thanks for the extra #.

Latest resources

Back