AA Degree or A&P

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Talian

While Aviation is generally in the toilet I am working in another field. I miss aviation so in the mean time I am planning to go back to school and get either an AA degree that would take only a year because I get half the credits for my prior flight experience. This would basically be a AA in Aero Science.
My other option would be to go to the same college and do an 18 month program to get my A&P certification but no degree.
What would be more beneficial in the corporate world down the road?

Any constructive input would be appreciated...

An A&P will get you employment in most places, but with no experience, low pay would go with it, atleast for a while.

I went to A&P school after high school, and I worked several years in the industry before my flying career. It also came in handy after a few layoffs when I was a pilot.

Its almost like the saying," if you teach a man to fish, he will never be hungry"

As far as having an A&P to get a flying gig, most of those positions I have seen are sh!t jobs.

Dont spend the money on a a&p I speak from 15 years 3 lay-offs and 10 years on midnights. I got a new job working on GX-5000,GX-XRS and 601,604 on day shift. But I did 13 years at 121 I am going to school to get my BS I like working on aircaft but if i did it agian I would do some thing else. just my 2 cents

An A&P will get you employment in most places, but with no experience, low pay would go with it, atleast for a while.

I went to A&P school after high school, and I worked several years in the industry before my flying career. It also came in handy after a few layoffs when I was a pilot.

Its almost like the saying," if you teach a man to fish, he will never be hungry"

As far as having an A&P to get a flying gig, most of those positions I have seen are sh!t jobs.

Hit the nail on the head! Get your Associates degree in Business or something like that. I got a BS Aviation Science degree and realize its worthless if I loose my medical, but I do have a A&P to fall back on I guess :rolleyes:

If you have your mechanic certificate, University of New Mexico, Roswell, will give you an associate in aircraft maintenance technology with only four online classes required.

You can do both.

I was furloughed effective Jan 05 this year, and didn't bother to collect the unemployment because I began turning wrenches right away. This lead to providing some instruction for the company, flying freight, and then to a position as a check airman...with income being equally divided between turning wrenches and flying.

I've found work frequently throughout my career because I hold a mechanic certificate, and it's been invaluable to many types of assignments I've held.

Latest resources

Back