AA Carthy to limit airport security

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

American Airlines chief executive Donald Carty said Friday another terrorist attack against commercial airlines was unlikely and urged some security measures added at airports be dropped.

``It will be a hollow victory indeed if the system we end up with is so onerous and so difficult that air travel, while obviously more secure, becomes more trouble for the average person than it is worth,'' Carty said in a speech to the American Chamber of Commerce in Tokyo.

Carty, who was in Japan to meet with business officials, said the airlines industry and the U.S. government responded quickly to beef up airport security after the Sept. 11 attacks. In hindsight, as with many hastily made decisions, some need changing, he said.

He said screening passengers at the gate after doing so at the security checkpoint merely added to costs and customer hassles.

``With the amount of security that we have in the aviation system today, the likelihood of a terrorist choosing aviation as the venue for future attack is very low,'' Carty said. ``When you compare security across various potential venues, the airline industry is enormously well secured.''

Carty said he was not opposed to pilots' having handguns in the cockpits, but said priority should be given to other security measures such as screening passengers.

Earlier this week, the U.S. government decided against allowing firearms in cockpits, saying pilots should concentrate on flying their planes and let marshals defend against possible terrorists.

American Airlines, the world's biggest airline, has been trying to come up with a new business strategy to combat the sharp decline in the airline industry after the Sept. 11 attacks. American's parent company, AMR Corp., lost $575 million in the first three months of the year.

Carty expressed support for the upcoming merger between Japan Airlines and Japan Air System. The carriers are setting up a holding company in October.

The partnership between American Airlines and Japan Airlines, which dates back to 1995, was reaffirmed in a meeting with JAL President Isao Kaneko Thursday, Carty said. The alliance will grow as the Tokyo international airport develops as a hub for travel not only to Japan and China but also to Southeast Asia, he said.

Simply astounding. Wasn't there just a recent report of yet another person being found with a loaded gun in their carry-on AFTER the initial screen? What a hassle!!

If the initial screeners would do their job and not hassle pilots, little old ladies and children, there would not be a need to re-screen pax. It seems like they are too afraid to do a random search and just focus on the "clean public" to create an immage that "all" people are/could be searched. They are profiling the wrong group of people

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

This guy looses 3 A/C and a number of his employees in less than 6 months, and now the industy is secure and we should all get on with it. Give me a break.

For all you anti-union types, see what we're dealing with here. Irrational managers who care only for shareholder value and their own personal compensation. Nothing else matters to them. Nothing!

AA is just another disaster waiting to happen even before 9-11 they were not screening properly the ground security coordinators for the airline didnt know what to do. i recall being on one of there flights out of mexico city never once asked for a photo id. All those sky nazis are thinking about is there big fat bonuses one thing is for sure i wont fly em !

frank rizzo said:
All those sky nazis are thinking about is there big fat bonuses one thing is for sure i wont fly em !

Uh...you wouldn't be confusing our illustrious CEO with our pilots, now would you?

frank rizzo said:
AA is just another disaster waiting to happen even before 9-11 they were not screening properly the ground security coordinators for the airline didnt know what to do. i recall being on one of there flights out of mexico city never once asked for a photo id. All those sky nazis are thinking about is there big fat bonuses one thing is for sure i wont fly em !

Not all of us Frank, some of us are furloughed and trying to get by as you slam our airline. I'm sure if they had gotten a look at your photo ID instead of just looking at you 9-11 would never have happened. Thanks for your well thought out insight on the issue of airline security. If we were only hiring, we could use a guy like you......

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Hey, angry jealous wannabe.

Don't hate us cuz we're beautiful.

Get lost.

frank rizzo said:

I think Carty was reckless in making those statements. He should try improving morale here at AMR, listening to the employees, and researching ways to merge AA and Eagle instead of slamming security. Those are the real issues and the true key to productivity.
Just the other day a flight of mine was delayed because those "pesky pre-board screeners" found a knife on a guy.

Last edited:
If I read this right, this CEO is not only concerned with his bottom line. He recognizes that his airline serves a public which is quickly losing its taste for these shenanigans. He wants security to be more effective, and less intrusive to a reluctant public.

Part of the solution to layoffs at AMR, Delta, United, etc, is to get people flying. People need to feel secure, or at least more secure than they do now, in order to return to flying. When folks see a grandmother being hassled because of her knitting, they know right away that this is a dog and pony show, and not security.

Latest resources

Back